Kathleen Arof
Kathleen Arof
  • Hometalker
  • Mount Prospect, IL
Asked on May 21, 2019

How to replace shelf underneath kitchen sink?

Tom StuartPamelaGrandmasHouseDIY


Water damage has totally ruined the bottom shelf of the cabinet underneath our kitchen sink--by that I mean the particleboard that formed this shelf curled upward and has to be ripped out and redone. HELP! How do we begin to do this?? I am the least handy person in the world; my husband is a bit better but we need LOTS of guidance! What do we do??

3 answers
  • GrandmasHouseDIY
    on May 21, 2019

    Hi Kathleen, I would remove the shelf and take it in to your local home improvement center. They will cut a board to match the size of it for you and in the right material. Then you can just set it back into place.

  • Pamela
    on May 21, 2019

    Just measure the area and go to home depot , buy a smaller piece of wood board , and give them the measurements and they will cut it for you . Just go at a time when they aren't busy ! Then I would cover it ( the top side ) in contact paper to make it wipeable . Then just lay it in place . I did this , I didn't glue or nail it down . Make sure you fixed your leak , before doing this !!!!

  • Tom Stuart
    on May 22, 2019

    Kathleen, I had that problem but there was a brace in the middle so I couldn’t put in a whole piece. Remove the old particle board and make sure the supports are in good condition. If you have to replace the supports use pieces of 1x2 screwed in around the edges. The hardware will cut plywood for you. Get a quart of primer and a quart of high-gloss white. Dry fit the wood then remove it and paint it. it will last a life time.

    You might invest in a homegrade circular saw like Skil or Black and Decker for $40. The cost of tools is much less than the cost of repairs. My house was built in 1983 but i have to do alot of small repairs so i have no choice but to be "handy".

    Youtube can teach you almost anything.

Your comment...