How can I harden these paper Freddy Kruger fingers for a costume?

Holly Lengner - Lost MomLindaMarcia whitney
+5

my son recently made this paper project I thought it'd be a good idea for him to incorporate this into a costume for this year my question is how can I Harden these paper fingers so he can wear as part of a costume

• Nicki Petruzzella Kerns
    Nicki Petruzzella Kerns

I have no idea but those look really cool!

• April
    April

Several ways: Coat them with several coats of acrylic varnish (outdoor type) - I prefer using the type that comes in the small bottles with the acrylic paint (like at the craft store,) because it's soap and water clean-up. You could brush on several coats of Mod Podge. You could pour a 2-part resin over them (this would be fairly tricky and is toxic until dry.) You could coat them with glue, using a low-temp hot glue gun. If you are going to paint or decorate them, I would probably paper mache over them, let dry, decorate or paint, then coat with spray varnish to protect. An easy way to paper mache is to mix white glue with water, so it's the consistency of pancake batter, dip strips of newspaper or old magazine pages into the mixture, then smooth into place, overlapping pieces slightly. You don't want it too wet - you can use a hair dryer or fan to speed up drying. When the first layer is dry, add another layer, being careful to smooth out the paper mache over the details. When the "claws" are as stiff as you want them, and completely dry, paint with acrylics or even spray paint. Then, when dry, spray with an outdoor varnish that to protect from dampness.

• Pamela
    Pamela

Hi ! You could use some paper mache. Not too much , it would change the shape. Also stuff them with some cotton balls or tissue to keep their shape. To make the paper mache , mix some flour and water together ( you can find the right amounts of each on line ) it will be a thigh liquid consistency. Then rip strips of paper or newspaper . Dip a thin strip of paper in the flour/water mix , with your other hand , wipe off the excess by running the paper between 2 fingers then wrap around

" freddy's " finger tips smooth out as you lay it on . Then let dry. When they are dry usr some black spray paint on them as a base coat , then do a second coat with silver spray pant . Have fun !!! Start looking in thrift stores for a hat and striped sweater to complete his costume !

• Marcia whitney
    Marcia whitney

dip them in Pledge Floor Wax

• Linda
    Linda

I would use Mod Podge..or, just make your own of white glue and water. I think the paper mache would wind up being too heavy. If you like you need a little more support I would put one layer of rolled gauze and then more mod podge.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

I would use Mod Podge to harden the paper... your son did a wonderful job on those fingers!