How do I get wax out of carpet?

Jan ClarkPati WalshJudy

My knucklehead teen spilled hot wax on the carpet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the wax? Or should I just sell the kid and use the money for new carpet? Thanks!

• Judy

Using brown paper bag, place on wax spot and go over it with a hot iron. Keep changing the paper bag and continue until the paper has absorbed all the wax. I have used this on my rental and it works.

• Pati Walsh

Thanks Judy! I'll give that a try!

• Jan Clark

Depending on the type and color of the wax, and type of carpet, you might just want to sell the kid, LOL. If it isn't red or some other color with a dye that's difficult to remove - go with the Heloise stand by. First harden the wax with some ice in a baggie and pick out as much as you can. Almost any tool will work. Then, take a warm iron and melt the remaining wax through several layers of paper towels. As it softens, scrape and blot it up. I've used a butter knife for this. Repeat until there's really only an oil stain left. Then, you can use a detergent, like Dawn, with a bit of water. (it's a good idea to make sure it is color-safe on the carpet). Dab it on, agitate with your fingers and blot it up with a towel. You can do that a as many times as needed. Make sure you rinse all the soap out and blot that up, too.