Can I dye a wedding dress with Rit dye?

+4

A friend of mine is getting married shortly and would love to have a dramatic black wedding dress.She has changed her mind AFTER buying her beautiful blush colored gown.Does anyone know if Rit dye can be used? Her gown is satin, lace and organza.Thank you,Terri

• Em Em on Aug 15, 2019

Satin can be a difficult fabric to dye. The glossy surface of this fabric doesn't absorb dyes easily, making it easy for the dyes to wash out. In addition, because satin can be made with a variety of fibers (such as polyester, silk or nylon), the method of dying the satin dress will differ.

Silk organza and silk crêpe are extremely easy to dye with silk dye or with fiber reactive dye. Polyester organza and polyester crêpe cannot be dyed except with disperse dye (see "Dyeing Polyester with Disperse Dyes"; the same is true of acetate and acrylic.

Instead of ruining the dress why not consider a black topper or adding black accents to the dress.

• Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Aug 15, 2019

I agree with Em, look for ways to accent the dress. Can some black lace be added? Maybe add some black beading on both the dress and veil? I dyed a white wedding dress red and the outside of the dress shrunk while the two linings didn't. It was for a play, so I just hemmed both layers of the lining. You really don't want to take a chance that she won't be able to wear it at all.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Aug 15, 2019

My daughter dyed her wedding dress. She disassembled, dyed, and re assembled. She also added sleeves. Here's the "before"

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Aug 15, 2019

NO Rit dye........ unless you know for sure what the Satin is made of/what fibers polyester? Silk? Satin is a weave, not a fiber. Satin can be made out of many different natural or synthetic fibers. This means that it is impossible to tell you how to dye your satin without knowing what fiber your satin is made of. If you have a dress made of polyester satin, the answer will be completely different than if your dress is made of 100% natural silk satin. here is good info. on dyeing different types of satin & how to do it correctly http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/satin.shtml

• For something as important as a wedding dress, I would pay someone to do it. A lot of dry cleaners/ alteration shops offer this service.

• I would contact a professional for this. I have visions of her beautiful dress being ruined. I don't think it will turn out how you are hoping