Can you give me advice for decluttering?

+7
  • Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Sep 04, 2019

Get a helper, turn on some good music, have one clean big trash bag for donations, have a kitchen trash can for trash and have a clean cardboard box for Keepers.

Follow this rule:

Touch everything only once. Put it in one of the three and don’t look back.

To help you: if you’ve not used it in 18-24 months, do not keep it.

• Sharon Sharon on Sep 05, 2019

When I am working with a new client, I use 4 boxes to sort items into..... Donate, Keep, Gift and Trash. I start with surfaces like tables, chests, counters etc. Just work until you feel frustrated..... then load the donate items into the car, take the trash out, and if gifting items, make a box for each person.

Then start doing the drawers, using the same system, and organize them (I use Dollar Tree plastic drawer organizers, and begin to put your Keep Items away.

Then do the closets, take everything out lay on the bed, and be realistic..... if you haven't worn it in a year - donate it. If you can't fit in it for over a year or two, donate it. Then I like to rotate clothes by season, I put plastic cubes on the top shelf for out of season clothes. If there isn't enough space, add a second rod.

If you can't do this on your own, ask your one friend who always gives you the truth to come over and help you.

If you have Netflix watch Marie Kurondo, she is a genius at letting go and organizing. She has books too. She has you hold each item and ask...."Do I love this item?" if no, let it go.

All my clients after the initial resistance to letting things go, find themselves enthusiastically looking forward to the next step cause they can see it looking cleaner, organized, and I always add "what do you want this room to look like" and we work towards that goal. So post a picture or two of your decorating goal. Post some inspirational quotes to keep you moving forward.

• Hi Sharon - This is one of my favorite articles on cleaning, organizing and decluttering. It really breaks down the steps of the process, and even includes an interview with TV show Hoarders star Matt Paxton. Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

https://pinkfortitude.com/hoarder/

PS - We have a FREE eBook with recipes for all of my homemade and all-natural cleaners. You can download it here --> https://pinkfortitude.com/thank#GreenClean

• I really think the KonMari method is life-changing. It focuses on what you want to keep (what brings you joy) instead of what you have to get rid of.

• Bushra Bushra on Sep 06, 2019

Hi Sharon, These are the products I use to make my own home clutter free, and to keep it more organized. https://bushraslifestyle.com/clutter-free-home/

Hope it helps!

Bushra

• Betsy Betsy on Dec 13, 2019

Hi Sharon: Decide what you want to keep, what you can incorporate (that 1/2 bottle of shampoo and that 1/3 bottle) things that you haven't used in over a year, the clothes you will never fit in again, things you can donate, things just to throw out, things to put on Freecycle.Org or Trashnothing.org (very cool sites, people will come and get anything!) Just be ruthless with some stuff, that foam ball has absolutely no sentimental value, but someone will want it, so Freecycle it! My theory is for everything I bring into my house, 2 things have to go out, whether donated or trashed. Good luck

• Homeroad Homeroad on Jan 06, 2020

The key is to donate everything you do not love. Most of us have a ton of things we really do not need. Start in one room and donate or trash what you don't love. Organize what is left into clear bins with labels. Simplify is the key to organizing.

• My Family Thyme My Family Thyme on Jan 06, 2020

I usually make 3 piles: Keep, donate, and trash. I ask myself if I am going to miss it...is there sentimental value. If so, I keep it. If not, I ask myself if it is useful...will someone else use it. If so, donate. If not, I throw it away. I hope this is helpful!

• Homeroad Homeroad on Feb 13, 2020

You need 3 bins, 1 for donate, 1 for keep, and 1 for trash. Start by deciding if you love it or not, if you do you keep it, if you can do without it then donate it. Clutter weighs you down. You won't believe how good you feel when you get rid of half of the clutter.