How can I get rid of white flies?

ShepKelli L. MilliganLifestyles Homes
+1

I planted some beautiful bushes last year, and they were growing beautifly until recently when I notice what appeared to be a bunch of small white tiny particles>>turns out they are "white flies" I have tried spraying the leaves/bushes with store insecticides and nothing is working. What can I do (short of removing this bushes). Ive never had this problem before.

• Gladys McCutchen Rink

Water the plants with water containing a small amount of liquid dish soap. This will kill the flies when they go into the soil to get water.

• Lifestyles Homes

My whiteflies always came back because the entire metro area has them and re-infestation was typical. Maybe that’s happening to you?

Malathianone with soap to break the surface tension worked, but I believe it’s been replaced by other products.

What insecticides have you tried? I used to be a diehard Ortho fan, but Bayer has my interest now. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Kelli L. Milligan

Take pictures and leaves with bugs in a plastic bag to your local nursery. They can help best.

• Shep

It seems to be a problem in my area too! I use neem oil spray to kill the flies and eggs. You will want to wipe the leaves with a cloth that has been dampened with the neem oil to make sure you're removing the eggs from under the leaves.

Neem oil is fairly expensive to purchase pre mixed. It is a lot less expensive to buy neem oil (I get mine from Amazon) and mix it yourself. It only takes a teaspoon of neem oil in a quart spray bottle. Fill the spray bottle with water, add the neem oil and a few drops if dish soap to emulsify it. It is very effective for me. Good luck!