Asked on Nov 4, 2019

How can Ipaint the brass trim on a closet?

CarolynBJewellmartinDeb K
+7

• Kathy Gunter Law

Degloss, sand or use steel wool to scuff the current finish. Then you can paint with a metal safe paint. RustOleum would be my go to.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

I would not paint it I would stick a tape over it instead. You can get lots of colours and if you can't find the colour you require, use masking tape and paint that instead. Hope that's of help!

• Dee

That's genius Johnavallance82.... in that way you can change again anytime you wish...very creative :)

Removing the doors would help but not necessary. Scuff up the surface of the brass with a green kitchen scrubby. Wipe down well with a damp cloth or damp paper towels. Tape off the doors and wall around the doors with blue painters tape and newspaper to prevent any overspray. Use Rustoleum 2X spray paint for metal. Several light coats will give you a smooth finish.

• Dee

Rustoleum makes a good primer, and I would first use that and lightly sand it after priming. They also have "roll" on Rustoleum if you prefer not to use the spray. But no matter what Rustoleum is the way to go.

• Robyn Garner

I agree with the method but would use Rustoleum primer first.

• Jen Osterhout

I used a similar method described above (scuff and spray with Rustoleum paint) to transform my brass fireplace door to black. Worked fairly well and easy to do. Good luck!

• Deb K

Hi CarolynB, you just have to pick up a metal paint like rustoleum or tremlad, I used the brush on style to change my bathroom light fixture from brass to brushed nickel look, clean it well and mask off around the edges and places you don't want to get the paint on.

• Jewellmartin

I choose Rustoleum 2X for any metallic job. The spray is about $6, which I think is expensive. But it is the best spraying and smooth metallic spray I’ve ever used.

• CarolynB

Thank you everyone!