Asked on Nov 20, 2019

How do I fix discoloration on a metal plaque?

VimarhonorDeeRobyn Garner
+6

I bought this Amazing Grace metal wall plaque at Bed Bath and Beyond and not sure how these discolorations happened. I tried a Sharpie but that didn't work. Would scraping the paint off the whole plaque work? I know the result would be a different color plaque but maybe without the discolorations?

• Cynthia H

I could be wrong, since it is often hard to tell from a photo, but, it looks like a painted finish that peeled or scratched on your plaque. I wouldn't scrape off the paint, but repaint it with a spray paint that can be used on metal after a good cleaning. If the finish came off due to moisture or scratching, or even cleaning, I would seal it with a clear spray sealer, front and back. I lean towards Rustoleum sprays, just because I like them and the results I get. If there is any part of it you don't want to get the paint on, you could protect that part with painter's tape. The trick with spray paint is using a light hand, using a slow sweeping motion and not expecting the first coat to cover the metal. If you have any rough spots or uneven areas, before painting, lightly sand those areas. Good luck!

• Cynthia H

Hi Dora! I just answered your question in a previous post. If you didn't see it, go to your icon/picture on the upper right corner of this page, or click on your name here on the question, and it will take you to everything you've asked.

• Robyn Garner

I would use some nail polish to fix the marks.

• Dee

You can put petroleum jelly on the raised part of the sign. Then use Rustoleum spray paint. It will not stick to the petroleum jelly/aka vaseline. When the paint dries, rub off the vaseline.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. I would suggest some of the magic marker wood stain pens to camouflage the defect. It looks like the finish was removed. Some hardware stores and places like Walmart have a three color wood stainpan repair sets—you might be able to blend to disguise the defect