Asked on Nov 27, 2019

Can I put a microwave oven on a shelf over the sink?

Jeremy HoffpauirToni @ Girl, Just DIY!William
+4

can I put a microwave oven over my kitchen sink

• Oliva

Placing any electrical appliance near water should be carefully considered. You might want to check with your local code authority before proceeding.

• Kathy Gunter Law

As long as it is sturdy, I see no reason why you couldn't do that.

• Vickymcreations

Ideally you shouldn't be able to touch water and electric at the same time, but I think this comes down to common sense, you know whether you will be tempted to use the microwave buttons with wet hands! My concern would be about bending down to do the washing up below the microwave and the impact that would have on my back.

• Seth

You can if you really want to. I am assuming you are thinking of a moderate size counter top model. Are you going to hardwire it or will you use a plug and receptacle? Building codes require, "all counter area receptacles and all receptacles within 6 feet of a sink must be GFCI-protected".

I wouldn't. Water and electricity don't mix. Especially a 1500 watt + microwave. Can't imagine wet hands accidentally touching it or even water splashing on it. Recipe for disaster.

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

You might be able to fit a small one up there. In my first apartment I added a shelf over my kitchen sink between the two cabinets and used that for my small coffee pot to get it off the countertop because my kitchen was very small.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir

I would not do this as water and electricity can really hurt you.