Tree Flocking With Dollar Store Ingredients

$3

Last year I had a few things I wanted to flock and I spent ages researching different DIY flocking methods. I wanted to find an alternative to using SnoFlock since it’s harder to get in the UK and was going to be quite expensive. I came across this recipe (unfortunately I didn’t save it so I can’t remember the original source) and it worked perfectly to create the look I wanted on a budget!

This is all the equipment needed and the ingredients cost me less than $4.

Quantities required to make the flocking mixture:

1 can shaving foam

3/4 cup Corn starch

1-2 bottles Elmer’s glue (4oz. size) or 1/2 cup approx.

The recipe doesn’t seem to have to be exact and this year I made a smaller volume to the right consistency. It needs to be fluffy enough with shaving foam content but also contain enough glue so that it sticks, without being too runny.

I found this small pre-lit tree for under $8. It’s battery powered which means it’s perfect to place anywhere and I wanted to put it on the stairway to add to the greenery that I had there already from last year.

Add all the ingredients to a large bowl.

Whisk all the ingredients together well. This part is great fun to do with little helpers! You want a consistency with stiff peaks once mixed.

Cover your surface with an old cloth. With a gloved hand gently apply the flocking mixture to the branches. You want to avoid applying to the underside of the branches to make it look like naturally fallen snow as much as possible.

I tried not to cover the lights with the mixture, so I just held these out of the way while applying it.

You can apply as heavy as you want depending on the look you want to achieve. After I had covered all the branches I went back over the tree and applied the mixture to the very tips. This creates a heavier snow fallen look.

Tips when deciding how much flocking mixture to apply, start light and go heavier as it’s easy to add more if you want a heavier look. Also I noticed last year that over time or possibly once dry the mixture does seem to shrink slightly and the look appears more subtle. With this in mind I applied the mixture a little heavier this time.

To finish off, I got a sieve with a little cornstarch in it and sprinkled it over the tree. This adds a little lighter dusting to the finish and some will stick to the wet mixture. Bear in mind that some of this will fall off as the tree is displayed in the house.

This is the finished look and the mixture will be dry in around 12 hours. The only slight downfall to this method is that it did make my house smell like shaving foam for a few days. However, this does quickly wear off and is easy enough to mask with a Christmas candle for more of a Christmassy scent around the home!

This is the original flocked tree and garland that I put together last year. I was so pleased that the flocking lasted really well in storage. Some of it did flake off in the box and when I took it out to wrap around the stairway but it still looks so fresh a year later. I just took the leftover mixture and applied it to the ends of the branches just to top up the look for this year.

Some mini trees flocked with the same mixture. I’m so pleased I discovered this method as it really is an effective low cost option to add that snowy look to your decor!

• Dana D

Very pretty!!! I wonder if you could add a few drops of pine essential oil to the mixture to mask the shaving cream scent 😊

• Pamela

I know people will do this, but make sure to put stuff like this out of reach of pets, at least mine would try to eat anything with a smell.

• Sheila

Can you put in a spray bottle to apply or is it to thick?

• Rachel | mapleandgrey

I’m not sure it would work as it would probably be too thick and if it did come out the mixture would possibly lose the consistency it needs

• Munyaka

How is clean up and or storing tree later. I love this this is so cool and inexpensive...thanks for sharing

• Rachel | mapleandgrey

Clean up is easy, it does come off if you knock it or brush past it but then hoovers up easily. If you’re careful it doesn’t make much mess and it’s mainly more messy for me because of my kids running around! Storage will cause some of it to flake off so I store it as gently as possible

• Arlene

Yes ty. Have quite a few to work with ty and Happy Holiday to you and your family. Adm

• Cassy Ray

You could buy spray foam and get the same outcome just less messy.