Asked on Dec 23, 2019

How can I build cardboard drive in movie speakers?

VimarhonorCheryl AKathy Gunter Law
+12

I want to make fake drive in movie speakers. Maybe out of cardboard or another inexpensive material

William

This is for American Doll size speakers. But I figure you can use square food storage containers for full size.

http://brandyshappyhome.com/diy-doll-drive-in-theater-speakers/

Also look at photos of speakers and use your imagination.

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi Debbie, that sounds like such an interesting project. I tried to find a tutorial for you but didn't have much luck. That being said, looking at pictures of old speakers I would use florist foam to make them. It's easy enough to carve and you can paint them afterwards with craft paint. Spray paint tends to "chew" it away.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

You can use a small cardboard box with yarn or twine coming out for the cord. Just attach the top of the box to the bottom with hot glue and paint the box to look like a speaker. I agree that foam would work great for this project also. I have lots of foam saved from electronics packages, so if you have anything like that lying around, that would work.

• I think the foam may be the easiest route, for it to maintain shape. Some silver/gray paint on the outside would look great, too!

• Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

I would take a styrofoam block and carve it with an Xacto knife....then paint with a flat gray paint. Use an old coiled telephone cord to "attach" to the car window.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Styrofoam would probably be the best medium. You can carve it and then paint it.

• Debbie
      Debbie

Thanks. The foam seems to be the most popular vote. Thanks. I'm going to give it a try

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. Yes I agree with the above poster you might wish take a trip to your local home improvement center. They have sheet Styrofoam there indifferent thicknesses in the insulation area. I used it to make several different items including window valances and cosplay accessories.

The Styrofoam could be covered with paper, plaster or even fabric and painted. A mesh—- like window screen could be use behind the slotted areas to simulate a speaker. Knobs can be recycled items.