Upgrade Your Kitchen Counters On a Budget - Faux Stone

$125

When we bought our house right after we were married, I knew this wasn't my "forever home". Our builder grade starter home has served us well for many years now, but I have grown tired of the boring, outdated looks in each and every room! So, if you have followed along with any of my transformations, you know I am tackling my home one room at a time!

The latest project room has ended up being the kitchen. While eventually I would absolutely LOVE to just gut the entire thing and shift up the main living area floor plan - I don't have the money for that right now. So, I have set out to do a small refresh. The list of projects includes replacing the sink, fixing up the counter tops, adding a back splash, painting the cabinets and replacing the cabinet hardware. We did a sink swap in one day with an easy to install drop in farmhouse sink that was a fraction of the cost of most farmhouse sinks. Next up, I took on the kitchen counters! They were not my favorite - they were this weirdly colored Formica, shown below.

I think I have always been pretty over these counters - they are dark, yellow-ish and included colors like purple, which I don't really prefer in my kitchen. Replacing them entirely was not really in our budget yet, so I started looking into refinishing kits. I ended up partnering with Daich Coatings to refinish the counter tops using their Mineral Spreadstone kit in Natural White.

The kit is $125 and comes with everything you need to finish about 40 square feet of counter tops. Additional items I used (which you don't 100% need) included my orbital sander, painters tape and caulk for around the sink.

Step 1: Prep Your Counters

I cleaned the counters and then sanded them down with the 60 grit sandpaper that came with the kit. Using a wet cloth, I cleaned up all of the sanding dust so that we would have a clean surface for the primer coat.

Step 2: Prime Your Counters

Using the primer from the kit and the included paint brush, start with your edges and small spaces to apply a thin coat. Once the edges are complete, use the included roller and tray to roll on the primer. Allow to dry and apply a second coat. I ended up having better luck cutting in my edges instead of using the tape!

Step 3: Apply the Mineral Spreadstone

Make sure your Spreadstone coating is stirred thoroughly so that you aren't left with all of the decorative stone pieces at the bottom of the can. I shook mine and had really good distribution throughout!

As with the primer, begin with the paintbrush for the edges and small spaces. You will dab it on to achieve uniform stone spreading. Then, with the roller, roll on the Spreadstone coating in an "X" fashion, pressing down as you go to spread the stone pieces throughout.

Allow your first coat to dry thoroughly before you apply the second coat. Then, allow it to cure for approximately 24 hours before sanding.

Step 4: Sand

I used a combination of the 120 grit sandpaper they provided and my orbital sander with 120 grit sandpaper - it makes the job a little easier! Sand the Spreadstone smooth.

Step 5: Apply Clear Coat

The clear coat is the final step! Using the same painting techniques, you cut in the edges and small spaces using the brush and gently roll on the clear coat, ensuring that there are no bubbles or uneven applications. Once the clear coat has been applied, you will need to let the counters cure for 24 hours before the first use. For the first 7 days after that, try to go light on them! From there, you can use them normally.

I have to say, for the price point, this was an awesome option. We are loving how they brightened up the kitchen in just a matter of days. After a few months of use, they are still holding up really well.

I've kept on going with my projects in the kitchen but, I have to say, this project was one of the easiest to tackle. These counters got a new lease on life with Daich Coatings! I love how they look with the subway tile and the cabinets. (See below):

If you are looking to update your kitchen on a budget, this beginner-friendly kit should definitely be on your list of options to look further into!

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests

• Marni

You did SUCH a nice job on your kitchen! It's so beautiful.

• Ann

We also did a kitchen refresh by painting the cabinets after we extended the cabinets to the ceiling and making taller doors. For the backsplash I used a roll of architectural wallpaper that I bought at a garage sale for $3. I painted the wallpaper a light cream to match our formica countertops. After allowing it to dry I mixed up some epoxy (the 2 pints of epoxy in a kit cost $25 and I only used half of the kit). I brushed the epoxy mixture onto the wallpaper and it dried solid and waterproof in 24 hours. It looks and feels like tile.