Asked on Jan 11, 2020

How can I spruce up a honey oak bedroom set?

Vic T.Cheryl AKathy Gunter Law
+8

I have a bedroom set I still like but over the years the top surfaces have become really scratched. Any advice on sprucing up? I really dont want to redo whole pieces. They are honey oak. Thanks!

Hi Vic: You can sand and re-stain only the tops. I'd sand lightly, even the edges so you don't have a clear cut off look, just to get the scrapes off and, if the scratches are really deep, use some paintable/stainable wood putty on them, let dry, sand even with the top and then go ahead and restain. Good luck

• Here is what I would do first. Wash well with Murphy's Oil Soap. Then if you want to fill in color on the scratches you can use nut meat or furniture and floor crayons / pens. Then polish with Old English products. I bet you will be surprised on how nice it looks again.

• Janice

Since you don't wan to sand and redo the oak, try purchasing a bottle of lemon oil and apply it to a moist cloth, then rub all over the oak. You'll be surprised how much better it will look. Don't leave too much on the surface, but you can let some of the lemon oil soak in and then lightly rub the piece with a soft dry cloth. Do this once in a while to renew the look.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Check out old English scratch cover in the light formula. Test it first but it does an amazing job hiding scratches.

• Cheryl A

you can buy Old English scratch cover in either light or dark colors it works great

• Vic T.

Thank you!