How can I update our cherry wood bedroom furniture without painting?

Valorie
by Valorie
+2

We have a cherry bedroom suite (from the 90’s- it was high end at that time so don’t judge) that I would like to bring up to date. I really can’t stand the thoughts of painting it (it’s in great shape and I love to paint but I refuse to paint this). Any ideas?

• Pat Pat on Aug 22, 2019

How about new handles or pulls? Is the mirror attached? Use an on the wall mirror instead. Put a pretty scarf on the dresser and chest. Pretty lamps, New bedding, New artwork will make a difference to the bedroom furniture also.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Aug 22, 2019

Hi Valorie,

I'd do a deep clean on it then look online and the colors used in ads for cherry wood bedroom furniture. I see a lot of white, eggshell, various grays, taupe and even a soft blue used in comforters/pillows etc. Pick up clues on the latest trends from those images of ads and build your look using them as a guide. I'm not saying copy any room exactly as you see it, but rather use it as your inspiration. Even something like an extra blanket draped at the bottom of the bed can give it some pop. I hope this helps you. Wishing you the best.

• Betsy Betsy on Aug 22, 2019

Hello Valorie: I agree, the accessories on and around your cherry wood furniture can change the looks of the room. I have cherry wood and love it! Good luck

• Joy Elizabeth Joy Elizabeth on Aug 27, 2019

I agree with bedding and decor color that complement the cherry finish.

Or, you could apply a gel stain on top of the existing finish to give it a deeper color without painting. There are tons of furniture makeovers using General Finishes gel stain.

• Deb K Deb K on Jan 16, 2023

Hi Valorie, hop[e this helps you out.

You could start by changing out the hardware, or painting the hardware. Add throws or other type of material to the top of dressers, and even onto the headboard to change up the look a bit.

https://www.thespruce.com/diy-ideas-for-decorative-drawer-pulls-4151930