Asked on Jan 13, 2020

Can I mix white chalk paint with satin interior paint?

HomeroadLindaDee
+10

I've been searching for the perfect green for my dinning room. I've found it but would just like it to be a little bit lighter. Can I mix white chalk paint in with it? Or maybe regular satin white interior paint?

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Kylie, hope this answers your question about mixing chalk paint. Good luck. DIY Homemade Chalk Paint Tips - Salvaged Inspirations

1. https://salvagedinspirations.com › diy-homemade-chalk-paint-tips

Mar 12, 2013 - 1. When mixing your chalking ingredient with the paint of your choice, you can use eggshell, satin finish, or paint & primer all-in-one. I've tried them all and they all work. However, I achieved the flattest/chalky-est finish, with a FLAT latex paint.

• Cynthia H

Yes, you can. Paint samples mix well, too. I do this all the time to get colors I want. Be sure to keep track of the ratio you do, so that you can mix more if you need more.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Yes you can it just won't be as satin. Since it is for walls I'd take to a stand alone paint store and have it prof mixed. They can tract the formulas in case you need more. You'd be surprised how hard it is to actually add white and move it a shade. Always takes more than you think and tons of stirring.

I mix a lot of my own custom colors. Have a lot of paint leftovers. I learned that it takes a lot of white to lighten a color. So what I do is mix the color into the white.

• Cindy

Hi Kylie. Yes, you can lighten your green paint but I would mix the satin interior paint rather than your chalk paint. Since chalk paint has components especially unique to the original shade, it would be nearly impossible to duplicate if you would ever need more.

• Megan

Yes you can definitely mix them together! Have fun and be creative!

• Fiddledd224

You can, but make sure you do a test area before you proceed with your project since mixing paints with different products and chemicals can alter the way the new combination dries. It may streak and you need to find this out before doing a large area.

• Christina Faye Repurposed

Yes you can!

• Dee

That really depends on if it is homemade chalk paint or paint from a store. Homemade chalk paint should only be used once and never stored. Ann Sloan or paint from Lowes or Home Depot can be mixed into satin interior paint.

• Linda

I believe you can do that.

• Linda

yes

• Homeroad

I think you can but what works really well is to prime your surface with the chalk paint first then paint the regular paint over the top. It acts like a primer and helps the regular paint stick to the surface better.