How to Make a Board and Batten Accent Wall

$100
Advanced

Learn how to make a board and batten accent wall in any room of your home! It is the showstopper in my home office, and I absolutely love the design it brings to the space.

HOW TO MAKE A BOARD AND BATTEN WALL:

Step 1: Measure your wall & gather your supplies.

For this project, you'll need:

• Poplar wood boards (we used 1'' x 4'')
  • Miter saw
  • Finish nailer air gun and compressor and nails
  • Level
  • Measuring tape
  • Hammer
  • Stud finder
  • Caulk & caulk gun
  • Liquid nail glue
  • Chisel
  • square
  • sheet rock knife
  • Oscillating multi-purpose tool
  • sand paper
  • paint (we originally used a light gray color called Sterling by Behr Paint but later changed it to a dark gray color called Intellectual by Behr Paint)

You'll need to first measure your wall and determine the amount of wood you'll need to get at the store. We decided to do a 4 x 4 grid.

Our wall is 8′ x 10′ 2”. We bought five pieces of wood 8′ long for the vertical boards, two pieces of wood 11′ long for the top and bottom of the wall, and three pieces of wood 10′ long for the horizontal boards.

Step 2: Remove baseboard

We chose to remove our baseboard first so we could utilize the entire wall for our board and batten wall.

Step 3: Install poplar boards

Next, Jason installed the boards.First, he installed four poplar boards to frame the entire wall. Then, he installed the vertical poplar boards.Lastly, he installed the horizontal boards. The horizontal boards were a lot more tedious because they required a lot more cuts between each board.

To install the boards, Jason triple measured the wall to make sure we had the right measurements. After he cut the boards to the measurements, he used liquid nail glue to secure them to the wall. He used a level and square each time to ensure the boards were perfectly straight. Then, he finished securing each board using the air gun and compressor, after ensuring he knew where the studs were by using a stud finder.

Step 4: Apply the caulk

To give it a finished look, Jason applied caulk in the gaps.

Step 5: Sand & Paint

It's important to let the caulk dry completely before proceeding to this step. We waited until the next day to sand the wood.

I gave them a light sand and then I painted the wall. I initially painted the wall using the color Sterling by Behr Paint.

I really liked how it came out but I wanted a bit more contrast so I repainted it dark gray.

The exact color is called Intellectual by Behr Paint. I also decorated the space and added some photos between the squares.

Marly Dice @ A Brick Home

• Mark B

What do you use to sand down a textured sheet rock wall in order to have a smooth wall?

• Robert

Skim coat with joint compound (Might need a few coats based on thickness of texture) and sand smooth

• Jeanie VanAllen

Wonder if you could do something with a paneled wall

• Bonnie

You can spackle the paneling lines the apply a wall liner and proceed.

• Marffa Stewart

I wonder if I can use pallets and make the squares?

• Fredrick

Pallet boards are generally different thickness and are not straight. Therefore, would make a difficult project.

• Nikki

This definitely got my wheels a turning as far as a couple of blah walls in my house. Thank you. You and Jason did an amazing job. I really think your second choice in paint color was the better choice for sure.

• Teresa DiIenno Roberts

I love it and yes the second choice was wonderful It really makes everything pop! Very dramatic