Asked on Feb 3, 2020

How can I keep squirrels from eating my tomatoes?

Peggy BurnetteBetsyPamela
+1

I've read to take shredded Irish Spring Bar Soap ( strong smell) & sprinkle it around outside plants to keep deer & other animals away away from eating your plants.I would not use Irish Spring around my tomatoe plants but is there anything else that is safe & I can sprinkle without affecting the taste of the tomatoes. I especially have problems with squirrels eating my tomatoes. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks !.....Madeline

• Kathy Gunter Law

Not sure about squirrels but human hair will keep deer away. Repellant sprays made from chili peppers are good for keeping squirrels out. You can also use cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil, placed around on container lids to keep them out. Consider planting peppermint plant as well.

• Pamela

Hi ! I had a neighbor who used to hang disposable tin pie plates all around and in her garden , she claimed it kept all the animals away . She hung them by a string so

they would spin around when the wind blew .

Hi Madeline: You can make a mixture of 16 oz of water and a bottle of Oil of Clove or Clove Oil, same thing, in a spray bottle. Mix it well and spray it around your plants. It smells nice, but tastes horrible. It's non-toxic, so it won't hurt anything or any one. You can buy the oil at any candy making store or your local grocery store may carry it. It comes in a bottle about 2 inches tall and only costs a couple of bucks. Once the animal tastes it, they will give the area a wide berth when they smell it! Good luck!

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Madeline, sorry the squirrels are eating your tomatoes. Hope this is helpful. Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

www.mnn.com

Build the cages of chicken wire fencing or hardware cloth, perhaps with bird netting placed over the top. Repellant sprays, such as those made of chili peppers, can help keep squirrels off your tomatoes. You could choose a commercially available spray or make one at home.Apr 3, 2018

www.gardeningknowhow.com › Edible Gardens › Vegetables › Tomatoes

Squirrels Are Eating Tomatoes - How To Protect Tomato ...