Asked on Mar 11, 2020

How can I save a favorite jute carpet?

Charles SwansonKathy RockettSimple Nature Decor
+11

I have a jute carpet with a cotton border that is in great shape, has gotten little traffic but the bottom is rotted out!! The carpet is a small one 2'x4' (or close to it) but cost about $50. I love it. What can I put on the bottom?

Thanks K

• Gk

I wonder if you could buy some burlap and sew it by hand around the edges of the jute or perhaps some heavy duck cloth. Just a thought!

• According to what I've read, I'm sorry to say there is nothing that can be done about it. Here's a link:

https://rugchick.com/jute-rugs-what-you-need-to-know/

• Redcatcec

It looks like Jute rugs are very prone to dry rot, just the nature of the product and there is not a whole lot that can be done about that. We would love to see a picture of what you have so some good suggestions could be offered about it's fate. Repair maybe possible, but a visual would be the best option for us to give you an informed answer.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Could a canvas drop-cloth possibly be attached to the bottom?

• Johnavallance82

Hello Karen,

Not had to do this myself but would definitely consider using a Rubber compound or sealer or maybe Silicone?? BEST WISHES,

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Karen, you can use contact adhesive to add a carpet backing on your jute carpet. Here's a great article that explains the different types of backings you can use - https://nearsay.com/c/419062/334577/4-common-types-of-carpet-backing

• Unique Creations By Anita

You can add a non slip backing, not for the not slip but to keep the carpet together. You can attach it with a silicone adhesive.

• K. Rupp

Hi Karen, I am a little confused. Is the backing of the rug rotting or the actual jute rug rotting? Because once jute starts to dry rot, I don't think you want it! Dry rot can create an absolute mess. I see it all of the time on jute webbing when I re-upholster. The rotted jute can get everywhere. Not only that, but the dry rot starts to disintegrate the jute so the rug will just start falling apart. It's almost like a fabric that starts to fray and continues to unravel. If you are dying about it, you can always spray the back with spray adhesive 3M Super 77 to hold it so it stops "the fray" so to speak. The problem is if it has started to rot, it will continue on the other side where it hasn't been sprayed but may stop it for a while though. Good luck!

• Beth

Can you try gluing a rubber carpet pad to the bottom to stop the fraying and also help hold it in place, so it doesn't move? It might have deteriorated by rubbing on the floor over time.

• TheHoneycombHome

Maybe this will give you an idea: https://thehoneycombhome.com/diy-sisal-rug/

• Simple Nature Decor

You can use a heavy duty burlap fabric

• Kathy Rockett

buy canvas... glue it on .. done

• Charles Swanson

they sell some stuff looks like old paint or maybe yogurt you just put kit on like you would paint like on a basement floor small rug like you have not even half a can at hobby lobby over by the hook rugs it was i want to say under twenty bucks.

hope this helps