Asked on Mar 26, 2020

How to straighten doors

Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAPhilippDebbie/Dragonfly Treasure
+19

Some doors in our house no longer fit into their door frames, scraping the floor below them.

How can I adjust the doors to fit into their frames again?

Thank you!

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Lara, sorry you are having problems with your doors I hope this video helps. Stay well. esults (0.64 seconds)

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

2:53

5:17

Suggested clip · 109 seconds

How To Adjust A Door Hinge - YouTube

www.youtube.com › watch

• Nan W.

Lara Lee: maybe a foundation inspection is warranted. Yikes!

• Lara Lee

..... I hope the foundation is okay 😢 ... it's steel reinforced poured concrete, but who knows with the passage of time?

Thank you for your suggestion 😊

Hi Lara: First of all, is it still fitting good at the top and along the edges? You may just have a door that is canted and can fix this by tightening the screws at the top. If the holes are too wide, remove the hinge screws and stuff the holes with toothpicks or match sticks, head removed:) Stick as many as you can pound in. Then reattach the hinge. If that's not the problem, You can remove the door, unless you can get underneath it a bit, cover the door bottom with chalk, reinstall the door and open and close it a couple of times. Remove the door and look at the bottom. Where the chalk is removed is where the door is hitting the floor. Sand this area down and replace the door. If it's still sticking a bit, remove and sand some more. This should do it. Good luck

Yes, I have had a lot of annoying doors and other things at my home and at my mom's home. I've been handy since I was a little girl. I just love tinkering and fixing things. I'lll probably die with a screwdriver in my hand:) I always tell my friends that I want to be cremated and thrown to the wind because I like to think outside of the box :)

• Morgan McBride

I would see if the screws on the hinges on the top need tightening!

• Lara Lee

Thank you, I think this is the problem as the lower opposite door corner is rubbing ✏📐😊

• Kathy Gunter Law

Check the hinges to make sure they are tight and all screws are secure. You might need to fill in if they have worked loose over time. That is normally the reason a door that once fit doesn't any longer. The other possibility could be settling. If that is the case you could try to either re hang the doors or trim the bottom with a skill saw if that is the only place you are having an issue.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

We had a couple of doors that stuck certain times of the year. We had a handyman come in and take off a little bit off the edges of the doors,

• Lara Lee

Thanks for your suggestion, I'm hoping to DMS, but may do the quick fix and hire someone to keep me from cussing 😄

• Lara Lee

Many heart-felt thanks to all you ladies 💕👍👏👏👏👍💕

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

Do you think having them shaved would help?

• Philipp

You can see if replacing screws or flattening it can help. Nothing wrong with hiring someone for help... could save you from more stress which is good especially at this time. Be safe!

• Number one thing to do - check the hinges!