Asked on Apr 6, 2020

How can i get rid of those black berry bushes for ever

Kathy Gunter LawDianacirce70Vimarhonor
+12

I have had a problem with these black berry bushes for a very long time i cut them every year and then they grow back.

• Kate Garrett

Blackberries, raspberries, & the like are brambles. One plant sends up tons of new "canes" every year; those canes closest to the ground become runners, dropping roots & sending up new canes the following year. Given enough time, a bramble will grow to fill all of the space within a boundary & that boundary had better be at least 7" deep if you don't want it to just burrow under.

The long and short of it, create a barrier that goes deep at least a foot past where the bramble had previously grown. You want to stop the runners from getting any further. Then till the effected area, pulling out any plant matter that comes up. Then till again. And again. If you don't get below the deepest roots, it will come back. If you don't remove every scrap of cane or root, it will come back.

If possible, set up a fire ring & burn all that plant matter. Rake up the ashes, & relight anything that looks remotely viable. If you can avoid the use of acelerants, the ash can actually be good fertilizer for whatever you plant next.

You may wonder why I am recommending a literal scorched earth solution. Brambles are among the hardiest plants on Earth. You use a clean fire (no accelerants, just ordinary kindling like drier lint or newsprint) & you can bring back the land in a season, maybe 2. You use an herbicide strong enough for the job & nothing will grow again for years.

• Flipturn

Well said Kate.

I can't believe how many times I have read 'use vinegar, dish soap', or similar as answers how to permanently get rid of bramble bushes or weeds. You must get to the root of the problem, literally.

• Mogie

You can dig them up, mow them or spray them. This site goes into more detail on each.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/eradicate-blackberry-bushes-32253.html

• Cindy

Hi Dean. I'm Cindy. By cutting the blackberry bushes every year, what you are actually doing is pruning them. I'm not surprised to hear that they come back every year. To kill the bushes completely, you could use salt. Sprinkle the salt around the base of each bush. Then pour water on top of the salt. The extra water will help the roots receive the salt quicker. fyi, you won't be able to grow anything in the area that you put the salt in.

• Dean

Hi there Cindy,

Could i use table salt or the coarse salt for ice.......thx Dean

Hi Dean: Here's what I do for vines thatI don't want around, like poison ivy, bamboo, berry bushes, etc. Get a product called ground clear, it kills everything! You can get it at most home improvement stores. Then, put some in a small can and paint the undersides of the leaves with this, using a small foam brush. Be sure not to get the ground clear on anything else. The plant will take the poison to the roots, through the leaves, and kill just this plant, if you are careful not to get the ground clear on anything else. You can use this method on any plant you want to get rid of. If you are worried about the leaves touching your other plants, cut the unwanted plant short, leaving several leaves, paint the leaves with the ground clear and then cover it with a plastic bag and secure it to the ground with dirt or rocks. That way, even the wind won't blow the poisoned vine onto your other plants. If you are, or you know someone who is, diabetic, ask for one of their used needles, fill it with the ground clear and inject it, in a downwards direction, directly into the vine. Then, be sure to dispose of the needle properly and don't touch the needle part because you may get some of the poison ivy oil on you if you are using it on poison ivy. Good luck with this, invasive plants are the worst!

If you inject the part that isn't 'woody', then it will work. It worked for me. I, too, am diabetic and used the same needle on several plants. Reusing a needle on something other than a person is o.k. No, the chemical will not leach into the soil, it stays with the plant. He wants to kill everything involved with the plant, canes and all. If you are careful, it works. Has for me and my friends.

• Redcatcec

First I cut the brambles down and then use a syringe filled with salt water to inject into the stem of the bramble. This is time consuming, but the salt water goes directly to the root. These plants are so invasive! It amazes me to see them year after year all bagged up in a cardboard sleeve in lots of stores.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Dean,

You have to cut them very low and then dig them up entirely! It will be worth the effort in the end as I can attest myself!

• Blackberry bushes are difficult to get rid of. You must dig deep and remove all the roots. Since they are invasive, you may need to do this for a few years to get rid of all of them.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Aggressive invasive plants and shrubs need repeated attacks until you can get every piece and root out. It is a war you can win with persistence.

• Dianacirce70

They probably send out runners and cutting won't stop them from coming back. You need to dig out the area and remove all the runners.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Unfortunately you will have to dig them up unless you want to use a very strong herbicide that will basically kill your soil as well.