Paw prints on fresh deck stain?

Chloe CrabtreeJohnavallance82Kmdreamer
+9

I’ve seen this topic on other threads but never came across a definitive solution. Soap/water and scrub brush only do so much and can still see paw prints once dried. Pressure wash? Reapply stain? Help much appreciated.

• Bill Brasky

Cabot Australian Timber Oil - Jarrah Brown

I had just applied the stain about 48 hrs prior to the dogs getting on the deck. Still slightly tacky and the dirt from their paws stuck in there pretty good.

I’ve mopped and also scrubbed with a nylon brush but still showing prints.

I’m thinking at this point I either need to take the stain down and reapply stain or add more stain on top of the blemishes.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Our 70# dog dos a number on our solid stained pressure treated deck. Nearly every year we repair By a recoating- his pathway damages.

You can reapply over the blemishes. Since it is linseed oil based it does take longer to penetrate and dry. Any that does not penetrate should be spread over the deck boards against the grain.

• Unique Creations By Anita

If you want them to be gone completely I would suggest try to reapply the stain.

• Redcatcec

With all your scrubbing you probably have gotten the dirt out where they tracked, you could recoat with the stain. It will take a while to sink in and completely dry. Best to you.

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Bill, we had one of our fur babies leave their mark on our freshly stained deck too and the only way we could get them gone was to restain.

• If the pattern of the paw has cured in the stain, you probably will have to sand- at least a little - and stain again.

• Bill Brasky

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Kmdreamer

Lightly sand or use a steel wool pad to rub the stain off on those spots then blot new stain on and cover with Cupid or mugs so no one steps on it till dry. If needed add more stain when dry till you get the correct shade of color

• Johnavallance82

Hello Bill,

You could of course make a feature of them by outlining them with a Sharpie Pen

and then colouring them in. Black or coloured - Could be a fun look!

• Chloe Crabtree

Sand off the area and reapply the stain.