Asked on Jun 4, 2020

Repair my faux leather chair?

Deb KCynthia HCarrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
+8

Hello

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a DIY novice!

Thank you

• Johnavallance82

Hello Shorty,

If the furniture isn't old, complain or ask the seller or manufacturer what can be done to fix it. Not quite sure exactly what the problem is? Is it stretched leatherette that has come away from the backing or has it slackened around Piping. It could be you could inject something like Mod podge into the area and smooth it down until stuck?

It could also be covered by something like Gaffer tape once smooth in a suitable colour. Otherwise, Ask an upholsterer for a price to fix it!

• I'm not sure what happened to it - it almost looks like it melted a bit. I also would check with the manufacturer. If they can't help, I would cover it with fabric.

• Redcatcec

It looks like a flaw in the fabric or something went wrong in the manufacturing process of the faux leather. The surface looks like it has a stretching or and adhesion problem. If you can't get help from the manufacturer, such as a repair or replacement, I would have to opt for recovering it. If you attempted to do a repair from a kit, it would probably be noticeable.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. It’s hard to tell what happened, it looks like we bonded leather became unbonded. Have you looked for the manufacturer’s name a tag on the bottom, googling up their customer service line might be helpful. If all else fails I might suggest to make a pillowcase type slipcover to hide the defect it might be more comfortable and possibly decorative than the vinyl.

Hey Shorty: I agree with the others. However, one thing you may try is to put a hairdryer on high heat on the area and see if it will shrink the fabric. Push on it when it gets to the size you want it to be to see if you can make it stick to the glue on the back. Press on it until it cools and sets. Hope this helps. Good luck

• Beth

It looks like maybe you've been leaning on the chair and shifted the fabric and it got pulled out of its usual shape. Do you tend to lean on that part of the chair?

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

Do you know how this happened? That might help us to help you more... it almost looks like the leather has stretched out a little, but I'm not sure how that happened. I can't seem to find anything online that will help it regain shape so maybe a call to the manufacturer would help?

• Cynthia H

Hi! I have never seen faux leather do that. I guess if you can't get a remedy from the manufacturer and/or get it repaired, the small investment of a repair kit might be worthwhile. It looks like heat damage to me, but, I could be wrong. If you know how it was damaged, you can prevent it from happening again. If I come across any additional information, I will update this. Good luck and stay safe!

• Deb K

Hi Shorty, iI found two videos for pu and bonded leather repair, I hope they help you out,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTytjGmW3Q4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoemyjyPjww