Create Some Quick Art With This Fun Paint Pouring Technique

$10

Short on time but full of creativity? This mop pour painting technique is perfect for you! It only takes about 5 minutes to create a beautiful masterpiece to hang in your home. This painting technique is a fun way to add a pop of color to your space. It’s also a great project to do with kids if you’re looking for a fun way to create with them this summer. My step-by-step tutorial is a great guide to help you get started. Choose the canvas and color palette right for your space, and get to creating!

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Canvas
  • Lazy Susan
  • Cardboard box
  • Mop
  • Acrylic paint
  • Floetrol 
Set Everything Up
Set Everything Up

Before I could start painting I needed to get my set-up right. I placed my Lazy Susan in a cardboard box to protect the rest of my room from any paint spray or splatters. Then I placed my canvas on the Lazy Susan. I secured it using a few nails and some tape.

Next I lay my mop on the canvas and spread out the strands of the mop. I’m using a cheap dollar store mop. We’ll be covering it with paint so I wouldn’t suggest using it to clean once this project is done. 

Add Paint
Add Paint

With my set-up complete I was ready to add some paint. I have already mixed my acrylic paints with Floetrol and water to make them easily pourable. 

Add More Paint

I added circles of color around the center of the mop. No need to be exact here, as you don’t have total control over where the paint ends up, so it’s helpful to be flexible and just go with the flow of the paint.

And More Paint

I continued adding circles of color until I was happy with my color palette and the amount of paint I had added.

Gently Lift the Mop
Lift and Twist the Mop

Once I was done adding paint, I gently lifted the mop to allow more of the paint to seep through onto the canvas. 

Twist the Mop

Then I slowly started to twist the mop as I pulled it up to create a swirl on the canvas.

DIY Paint Pour
Add Paint to the Edges

Once the mop has been removed, I added a bit of extra paint to the edges to make sure that it would all end up covered when I spun the canvas.

Spin the Canvas
Spin It!

With all of my paint on the canvas, I gave it all a good spin. You can spin in any direction you want and as many times as you want to achieve the effect you’re looking for.

Touch Up

If there are any spots that still don’t have any paint, you can go ahead and use your fingers to add a touch of paint. Then give it a few hours to completely dry.

DIY Paint Pouring Art

Doesn’t it give you Monet vibes? I love how this one turned out. What colors would you use to match your aesthetic? Let me know in the comments below.

Everything Red For Canada Day
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom

• DC
    DC

Just wondering, what did you then do with the painted mop? Was there enough paint on it to make or begin another painting? Was it uniquely coloured enough to be a start of its own craft piece in some way?

• Kathy
    Kathy

Looks like you've done many of these paintings by the looks of the sides of the box. After the project is done, can the mop be washed to use again?

• Diane
    Diane

I'm wondering what else you could use besides a mop? What else would work, a brush of some sort? I want to do this but I hate to copy someone else 100%, so now I challenge is to do it different enough to be mine, but HOW?? Hummmm

• Shelly Moore
      Shelly Moore

I think I would make a half pom pom with yarn. Just make the pieces of yarn long enough to hang over edges of canvas. Cut them more than twice that length. Cut a couple dozen. Fold in half. Tie where the fold is well. Spread out yarn,pour. That is if I didn't have a mop. Or you could Roll up sheets of newspaper.then cut down to make strips like a broom/mop sit on canvas, pour. Felt or cloth cut in strips would work too.😊

• Jodi
    Jodi

That's Awesome! May I ask if u did a video on how to do the one behind u?

• Cyndi Loo Dee Evans
    Cyndi Loo Dee Evans

I started Dirty Paint Pours a couple years ago! I use no mop. Although I do use balloons!