Create Some Quick Art With This Fun Paint Pouring Technique

$10

Short on time but full of creativity? This mop pour painting technique is perfect for you! It only takes about 5 minutes to create a beautiful masterpiece to hang in your home. This painting technique is a fun way to add a pop of color to your space. It’s also a great project to do with kids if you’re looking for a fun way to create with them this summer. My step-by-step tutorial is a great guide to help you get started. Choose the canvas and color palette right for your space, and get to creating!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Canvas
  • Lazy Susan
  • Cardboard box
  • Mop
  • Acrylic paint
  • Floetrol 

Set Everything Up

Set Everything Up

Before I could start painting I needed to get my set-up right. I placed my Lazy Susan in a cardboard box to protect the rest of my room from any paint spray or splatters. Then I placed my canvas on the Lazy Susan. I secured it using a few nails and some tape.

Next I lay my mop on the canvas and spread out the strands of the mop. I’m using a cheap dollar store mop. We’ll be covering it with paint so I wouldn’t suggest using it to clean once this project is done. 

Add Paint

Add Paint

With my set-up complete I was ready to add some paint. I have already mixed my acrylic paints with Floetrol and water to make them easily pourable. 

Add More Paint

I added circles of color around the center of the mop. No need to be exact here, as you don’t have total control over where the paint ends up, so it’s helpful to be flexible and just go with the flow of the paint.

And More Paint

I continued adding circles of color until I was happy with my color palette and the amount of paint I had added.

Lift and Twist the Mop

Gently Lift the Mop

Once I was done adding paint, I gently lifted the mop to allow more of the paint to seep through onto the canvas. 

Twist the Mop

Then I slowly started to twist the mop as I pulled it up to create a swirl on the canvas.

DIY Paint Pour
Add Paint to the Edges

Once the mop has been removed, I added a bit of extra paint to the edges to make sure that it would all end up covered when I spun the canvas.

Spin It!

Spin the Canvas

With all of my paint on the canvas, I gave it all a good spin. You can spin in any direction you want and as many times as you want to achieve the effect you’re looking for.

Touch Up

If there are any spots that still don’t have any paint, you can go ahead and use your fingers to add a touch of paint. Then give it a few hours to completely dry.

DIY Paint Pouring Art

Doesn’t it give you Monet vibes? I love how this one turned out. What colors would you use to match your aesthetic? Let me know in the comments below.

3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?

• DC

Just wondering, what did you then do with the painted mop? Was there enough paint on it to make or begin another painting? Was it uniquely coloured enough to be a start of its own craft piece in some way?

• Kathy

Looks like you've done many of these paintings by the looks of the sides of the box. After the project is done, can the mop be washed to use again?

• Diane

I'm wondering what else you could use besides a mop? What else would work, a brush of some sort? I want to do this but I hate to copy someone else 100%, so now I challenge is to do it different enough to be mine, but HOW?? Hummmm

• Diane

Charise- thats why I said my challenge is do it different enough to be mine, ......

• Linda Jeantet

Absolutely! My 10 yr old Granddaughter saw something similar on line but much more complex! We will definitely be trying this!

• Jodi

That's Awesome! May I ask if u did a video on how to do the one behind u?