Sideboard Color Block

$15

Hi friends! In my kitchen I had a little spot reserved for my youngest and her play kitchen! She’s 4 this month and kind of over it and so was I to be honest! I had visions of a beautiful sideboard and so I decided to go for it! It needed a little something once I styled it and the color block was the perfect idea!

Paint

First thing we did was clear out the space and paint this wall to go with the other white walls in my kitchen. The color is Benjamin Moore chantilly lace and it’s my go to white! It left us with a beautiful crisp canvas!

Sideboard

This sideboard was beyond reasonable at under 300$ From all modern. It was fairly easy to put together ( about 1.5 hours with one person )

Styling

Once it was built I went to work styling it using the old runner from the play kitchen. Added some wall art from target, a sconce from ikea, and a few Knick knacks! I knew it needed something so I decided a color block on the wall was perfect!

Colorblock

When doing a color block there is no right or wrong size anything that fits your space in your vision will work perfectly for this. I decided I’m doing an arch the easiest way to go about this is to trace a circle of something laying around your house. Don’t worry about the pencil mark they will be painted over and are very easy to erase. After tracing the circle I found the middle point with a level Andrew straight lines down from where I wanted my arch to be.

Error

As you can see I decided I wanted my arch to start a little bit farther up on the circle you can do this as many times as you need until you see the shape that you were going to want to work with now it’s time to tape!

Taping the arch and paint

Once you have taped around your arch go ahead and give it a go with any color you like I used Benjamin Moore sugarcane, and love the subtle pink

Voila!

The end is a perfect contrast for the wall I just love how it came out! We hope you like this project and be sure to follow us on our Instagram page @spoonfulofsugar_CT

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?

• Diana Blessing

I like the idea but it seems small for the space. Maybe it's the angle the picture was taken at but it looks like all your lights and wall hangings are at a certain height and then there is 2 feet or more of white emptiness above. Are you going to be putting shelves or cabinets to help fill in the space?

• Beth

Jenna and Laurie,

I think the problem is that it is not "out of balance" enough to look intentional. The pink area is just a tiny bit short of the light fixture, which is about a foot short of the wall hanging. So the whole thing comes off looking like rather a poor decorating job rather than an intentional asymmetrical arrangement. Pardon my bluntness, but I was a professional decorator for many years.

If you could go back and extend the pink area to be the same distance above the light fixture as the wall hanging is below it, you would create balance -- without symmetry. And paint the cord from the light fixture to match the wall or get a cord cover for it. It distracts from the whole thing.

• Kelly Hintz

Beautiful! This is off topic but how did you attach the swag light set to your wall?

• Gail

Are the wooden boxes on the wall Faux painted on or are they really boxes. Optical ????

• Flipturn

I feel that with the present scenario, the arch is competing with the macrame hanging, and the vertical lamp chord, and no one is winning.

I think that the whole arrangement would have made more of a visual impact if the pink arch was larger and asymmetrically placed to fill in the blank wall space beside the table to the left. It would then provide a contrasting colored background for the blocks which are mounted in front.

Then hang the macrame over top of the lamp chord (under the fixture head) to not only hide some of the eyesore, but to centre the focal point.

• Mary McDonald

It’s all beautiful stuff with great ideas but I do agree the balance is somehow off. I thought the boxes would look great on the wall above the sideboard with greenery perhaps hanging down out of them. The colour block is just so pretty but could be more impactful on the wall where the boxes are, going all the way down to the baseboard. Then perhaps placing the plant or a large vase in front or just off centre of the colour block. The lamp idea with the wall ha hung is a good idea however I might forgo the lamp and put just one buffet lamp at one end of the sideboard. The runner is meant to be walked on so I’d probably put it more out in front of the sideboard.

Jenna and Laurie, I adore your vision and don’t want you to feel hurt by my comments. I just want to help a bit. Thanks for posting you two!

• Brehindman

What ever I love it! No rules just beutifue! Love the pink!