DIY Floating Shelf Planters

$20

After building cedar frames to go around the windows of our garage, I sensed it didn't feel done, it needed something more.

Buy supplies

I've forever wanted some kind of planter box to liven up the garage face but without creating a million un-repairable holes in the siding and never quite could figure out an idea. Well, honestly, I was too busy with other projects to think about it.

Until I framed the windows in cedar....then it hit me: a floating shelf!

I picked up one piece of 1x8 by eight foot cedar and a box of 10 grow pots.

Figure out the math

You don't need a fancy program for this, just some math skills and a calculator, but it was hot and I'm no longer good at math.

I set the right and left cups at 4" on center in from the edge then divided the rest of the distance for three more cups, a total of five per planter.

Be sure to swing by the blog for all sorts of fun and not so fun math errors I've made over at Flipping the Flip!

Cut and measure

Next I cut the wood in half (hot tip: measure the length of the wood before dividing in half as it's rarely exactly what it should be and that can mess you up).

Here I measured out a 3 1/2" diameter hole for the grow pot cup and scored it with a compass.

Drill a starter hole

Drilling a large starter hole gives you room to work with your jigsaw to cut out the circles.

Cut out hole

Not my finest work, eh, but that's ok. The little grow pots (which are lightweight and small meaning they won't get heavy and pull on the shelf) fit right in and stop at the top lip.

Grow pot in hole

See? Perfect.

For extra details about this project and the cedar frames I built, be sure to check out the blog post here.

Install

After cutting out all the holes for the grow pots, it was time to install.

I pushed the 1x8 piece up against the siding as tight as it would go then drilled a hole through it into the cedar frame I built. I then sunk a pole barn screw in to secure (only because I had them and no other outdoor screws).

Secure

A few more screws, and voila! Done!

Seal

If you'd like, feel free to seal up the cedar to eliminate or slow the graying effect. I used Watco Teak Oil + Stain in Greystone.

Plant and enjoy!

Can't wait for next spring to plant these lovelies up!

Enjoy some more

Won't it be nice with oodles of flowers and trailing plants?! Oh I can't wait.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Lynn

Sooooooooo cute

• Rynn

Love this look! What about watering them..... do they hang far enough from the house to prevent dirty water from draining out the bottom and running down the side of the house? I had that problem once, but maybe it was "operator trouble", ha ha! Again, I love your selection of plants!

• Maria

Water them with ICE cubes they don’t melt as quick no dripping

• Susan

How about adding another board in the front to hide the bottom of the pots?