Antique Buffet Goes Bold and Bright Farmhouse

$50

As a full time furniture painter I rarely get anything done for myself but recently I set aside some time to update this antique buffet I purchased years ago and had yet to do.

Antique buffet beore

I loved this buffet and was very excited to get it done for our home. Frist the missing veneer piece was glued in place and other areas filled and sanded.

There was part of the applique missing on the top back piece that I remade using a wood product and sculpted it. You can find a more detailed how to on my blog tutorial. You will find all my tutorials here, be sure to subscribe to have them delivered to your inbox if you like what you see.

Scrub well - years of dirt needs to go

Once all was dry the entire buffet was scrubbed inside and out using Dixie Belle white lightening cleaner in warm water. Be sure to rinse and dry.

Darn water rings

The top has some water rings. This is a problem on many pieces. And there are allot of suggestions out there to remove it. After sanding well I did try paint stripper then mineral spirits, no luck with either.

Hemp oil to the rescue

The plan for the top is to hemp oil it. Hemp oil is the perfect hydrating dealer for these antique pieces. See how it brings out the gorgeous grain and deepens the natural color? It also made the water marks disappear!!

I applied 3 coats of hemp oil allowing it to dry overnight between coats and will add a couple more in the future as there is still more oil needed.

Rehydrate the inside and make it smell pretty

Next it was onto the inside of the buffet. The wood really needed rehydrating and deodorizing; hello Dixie Belle Big Mama’s Butta

Paint the base

The color I chose for the buffet body is  Dixie Belle in fluff.

Two coats were the perfect coverage. A light sanding and distressing was done all over using a  Dixie Belle sanding sponge.

To seal the warm white paint I chose  Dixie Belle easy peasy spray wax. Spray and wipe, easy peasy.

[Step]Antique buffet after!

The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Creative Moments