Asked on Aug 29, 2020

How can i repair siding on shed without removing the boards?

Deborah AnnJworksPat
+16

My shed has T11 on it and a few boards are getting spongy, is a wood trim a possibility for fixing it?

• Seth

Check out this link. It shows one way to do it if your damage is at the bottom.

http://www.brianhensley.net/2015/09/how-to-replace-rotted-t1-11-siding-with.html

• Deborah Ann

Thank you, i appreciate your response!

• Sharon

I would just replace the bad sections in my experience it never gets better.

• Johnavallance82

Hi Deborah,

If the boards are Spongy, then they need to be dried out. When dry you could use a timber sealer on them. If you just cover them and they are not damp, but Rotten, then you are only putting off or hiding the problem, not solving it!

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I dont think you can it properly without removing whole section

• Deborah Ann

Is there any particular timber sealer that works better? I’ve never dealt with this before and appreciate any input.

• Cynthia H

Buy one that is exterior grade. You may need replacement wood so that's a good time to find out recommended finishes. I would really try to find out why the siding got so wet (and apparently stayed wet). You may have a runoff problem. Make sure nothing is lying against the siding like mulch, so that it never dries out. Good luck and stay safe!

• Deborah Ann

Thank you. I'm trying to keep the cost down. This is an Amish shed which is 14 years old and there is stone around the perimeter. I think between rain, humidity and snow it's starting to wear. I'm looking into wood trim or dog ear fencing to possibly put along bottom. I definitely don't want roof flashing.

• Kmdreamer

You need to remove those soft boards and replace with new boards

• Lifestyles Homes

The water has ruined the T111 and it’s replacement time.

That old type of “press board” T111 was in recalls years ago and

now one can buy

cementicious fiberglass reinforced T-111 siding that can’t rot. You will want to pre-drill screw holes & not use a hammer on it.

I would be sure & replace damaged flashing and treat the framing for termites at this time.

Hi Deborah Ann: If the OSB T1-11 siding gets wet, it swells and expands, flaking, chipping and eventually will rot. I think it would be wise to replace it before it ruins the other wood. It will last and stay beautiful if adequately installed, painted or stained, sealed and maintained. Good luck

• Pat

We had a shed that was deteriorating around the bottom, next to the ground. We put a small thin board along the bottom, over the deteriorating wood. Then painted all the same color....after 4 years, it still looks good.

• Deborah Ann

What type of wood did you use? I have T11 on the shed. Of course the wood runs vertical, not sure if I should apply new product running in the same direction..

• Jworks

Deborah, I assume the spongy is at the bottom of the T11 panel. if you don't want to replace the whole panel you can cut off the bottom part of the panel with a circular saw. Be sure the saw blade is adjust to just the thickness of the panel and no more. Cut horizontally along the whole side of the shed (above) the spongy part, and be SURE you then have good solid board left. Now paint the bottom new edge with a real good primer. I use Kilz. It'll dry to touch in 30 mins. From here you have 2 options. (1) Cover over the new cut area with a strip of Hardee board using screws, not NOt nails. Pre-drill holes for those screws, screw it down and paint. Hardee board does not rot. (2) See the link showing how you can use some Z-flashing (or similar) before screwing down the Hardee board.

• Deborah Ann

Thank you!