How to Install Molding for a Feature Wall

$300

I recently participated in a feature wall contest using molding by Woodgrain. It was my first molding project. And it was so much fun! I created a design, measured, measured again, bought the molding...and here is are the details!

Creating a design

The entry wall to my home is a double tall 14 foot wall from ceiling to floor. I wanted to create some interest here on this bland and boring wall. Since this was my first molding project, I decided on a simple design.

Measure for product

I decided on a simple and basic wall molding. I added a decorative picture molding to dress it up a bit. Installation was pretty simple. I just used my Ryobi airstrike nailer.

Adding detail

I installed the picture molding along all of the edges. Then I caulked all of the lines on the entire wall, including the crown molding. I had always been terrified to caulk. Once I researched the best techinques, it turned out to be a very easy and very satisfying process!

Finishing off the project

After caulking, I painted the entire area with Benjamin Moore Simply White. Eventually I might add some color but for now, this wall is a stately and magnificent white.

21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Shop at Blu

• Kelly J. Tinney

I’m a bit confused. It does look better; however, the molding isn’t lined up and looks off. The picture of the top of the stairs (a small landing) where we see the pieces of trim close together-two pieces of trim are spaces closer than the two pieces above it. Why not have them spaced apart the same width so they look even?

• Em

What size boards did you use before the picture molding? What did you do where it meets the ceiling?

• Em

Thanks Shop at Blu. Very nice. Looks like a totally different area.

• Pash Christina Morelli

My biggest question is.....did you win? Yoy should have. I love what you've done with this space. 😍

• Shop at Blu

Oh you are so sweet! No, they chose a very intricate geometric wall. It was incredible! But I had a blast and now this wall rocks my entry!!

• Jean Billington

I thought it was tutorial on making that really small light larger.

It really needs something bigger, like a basket turned upside down and made a light for it.

• Lisa West

Omg!!! That is absolutely elegant. Yes I agree stately how ever so elegant. Don't do any thimg else lol, may be a painting or something. That there has just brought up the value of your home few grand im sure. Very nice indeed.