Sanded and Bleached Antique Dresser

$30
1 Day

I did it again! I bleached another piece of furniture and I love the way it came out. You might have seen the first piece I did here, and I liked the way it turned out I decided to do it again. This time on a dresser!

I found this dresser on Facebook MarketPlace for $20! The woman who sold it to me said it was her Grandfather's and it's been in his house for as long as she can remember. For $20 it was a great price and in great shape!

There are two ways you can go about refinishing a piece like this to get the old color off, you can strip it with paint stripper or you can sand it.

I choose to sand it...and trust me it takes time and a little elbow grease. But it's so worth it.

As you can see from the picture it's a huge difference in color once it's sanded. At this point I didn't know if I was going to need to bleach it or not. I was loving the raw wood.

Once the piece was sanded I liked the color but there was still a hint of orange left in the piece. So I bleached it.

I used regular household bleach and poured some on a rag. Make sure you wear gloves! Once I had it on the rag, I simply wiped the whole piece down.

I did this about 4 times waiting 30 minutes in between. The picture is after bleaching it.

To seal the piece I like to use a matte polycrylic sealer.

I put the original hardware back on, and it looks great! It's the perfect piece for our cottage on the lake!

Have you tried bleaching furniture yet?

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram, where I do these types of projects in real time!

Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Tara Boettger

• Joline

Do you have to rinse the bleach off, or wipe it with clear water before sealing it to get rid of bleach residue?

• Cindy Pittman

I need that old hardware. I have the same hardware on my chest of drawers and one of the pulls are broke.

• Trish F

She said that she reused the hardware so I doubt she has any extra pieces available.

• Linda stolley

Did you use wood bleach or regular clorox

• Trudy

She even states, "I used regular household bleach."

• Linda

A great find at $20.00. A fine, well-made chest of drawers which needed cleaning up. You did a great job to bring the beauty of it back to life.

Really.

• Mary Russell

Before sealing,it looked a lot like the 'blond'furniture that came out years and years ago.