Personalized Map Cork Board

$20

I love old maps so much I'm always looking for new ways to display them in my home. As well as printing out the maps and putting them on the wall in the past I've used them to make personalized map pillows, which I made as gifts last year. This time I made a map cork board. The great thing about this cork board is that it uses more than one map.

You can buy these wonderful plain hexagon cork tiles cheaply on line. They have a sticky back as well great for mounting on the wall.

You can also get fabric sheets that you can print on at home with your inkjet printer. I had several cork tiles so I printed a map for each one. I choose maps from the wonderful collection on my blog Pictureboxblue.com.

The maps I choose were of places special to me, these included city maps of Paris, New York and Hong Kong. Then country maps of Norway, Scotland and Canada.

Lay the cork board on the printed fabric map where you want it and draw around it.

Then following the pen marks cut out the map.

Next, carefully peel off the paper backing from the printed fabric.

Then spray the hexagon cork with adhesive and stick the map on top.

Repeat with the remaining hexagons and printed maps.

The best thing about this map cork board is you can play around with the shape. Also you can add more corks at a later date.

This map cork board looks great in my study. It would look great in a teen bedroom or den. I think it will also make a lovely gift for anyone with wanderlust. You can choose maps of there favorite holiday destinations.

I've also made beautiful map shell gifts you might want to check out.

If you can't find the maps you want on my blog (link at the end) then you can always scan in a map and use that for this cork board.

Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Claire Armstrong

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Two questions, actually: 1.) Why did you choose to use printable fabric sheets rather than just paper? 2.) What size corks did you use? (The link takes us to multiple options.) Thanks!

• Claire Armstrong
      Claire Armstrong

I used fabric as it was more flexible and less chance of tearing and would last longer then paper. With paper you will get more marks where the pins go in and out of the board. The tiles I used were about 20cm (8") at the widest point. But you can use any size you want. Thanks

• Lisa Peach Lehman
    Lisa Peach Lehman

I’m going to try this, but use dollar store popcicle sticks to build a shelf around the hexagon cork. Think it’s a beautiful way to display our favorite city where we got married: San Antonio.