How to get rid of wild ferns?

+6

I have wild ferns that have been growing right down in front of my house. It stay very moist there. I have tried the vintage and water. It burnt them but still they come back even after digging through soil and pulling them up by the roots. They always come back and take over my garden. What else can I do without killing my other plants. Any advise.

Thanks,

Candy

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Jan 22, 2021

Hi Tandy

Here is info with photos to help you out

https://www.wikihow.com/Kill-Ferns

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jan 22, 2021

Hi Tandy, I'm wondering if getting some drainage down there would help eliminate your fern problem - change the wetness of soil etc. If you dug a trench to a lower place so the water has somewhere to go that could really help! I would fill it with rock and/or pebbles than cover it with top soil so no one will see it.

• Janice Janice on Jan 22, 2021

You are already on the right rack by removing them whenever you see them. You might also try placing a thick black plastic weed blocking material in that area as well. Most plants need soil, water, and sunshine to grow, so even though ferns need little light, blocking it out completely may help kill them. Good Luck!!

• Mogie Mogie on Jan 22, 2021

Digging them out is best. Even when I've dug them out, a few still come back.

How to Get Rid of Ferns

https://www.hunker.com/12436815/how-to-get-rid-of-ferns

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 22, 2021

Hello Tandy,

First of all, dig out your ferns with the roots and pot them up and sell them or give as gifts or donate them to a woodland or charity to sell for funds!

Second, Dig in lots of gravel to help the drainage, so they will not so happy there or Make a Bog garden or Water feature!

If you don't want the ground in general to be so wet, and if you don't have Gutters and downpipes around your roof, I would add them and at the same time add a water butt or two. The other idea is to make Land drains on you property.

Best wishes.

• Betsy Betsy on Jan 22, 2021

Hi Tandy: One thing I can suggest is to get a product with something in it that's called "Ground Clear". There are lots of different brands, Ortho has one. Anyway, this stuff kills everything so you have to be careful. Spray the leaves of the fern, or, if you have a syringe, or can get a used one from someone who takes shots, fill the syringe and inject the stalk of the plant in several places with the ground clear. This will take the poison to the roots and kill it there and not harm the other plants. It may take a while, but eventually the little ones that are growing and get their shots, too, will die and you should have no more problems.

Good luck

• Tandy Derringer Tandy Derringer on Jan 23, 2021

Thank you for your response

• I would dig and then use straight vinegar. I never dilute it, but you really have to douse the area.