How I Made a Heart Placemat From a Sweater

1 Material
$5

I was looking for something fun and different to use for a placemat for my Valentine’s tablescape. Since I couldn’t find anything I liked, I decided to make my own. I want to show you how I made a heart placemat from a sweater.

My inspiration came from the thrifted sweaters I used for chair slipcovers for my New Year’s Day tablescape.

I had purchased more than I ended up needing for the slipcovers, so I used them to make placemats. 1 sweater made 2 placemats. I used the front for one and the back for another.

directions for heart sweater placemat

You will need 1 sweater for every 2 placemats you want to make.

I used a plate to determine the size I wanted my heart placemat to be.

I placed the plate in the center of my sweater and drew a rough sketch of the size I wanted.

Next, I cut my sweater in half, separating the front from the back.

Then, I removed the sleeves. Don’t discard the sleeves because there are other things you can do with those too.

Fold the sweater in half and use the sketched half heart for your cutting guide.

If you don’t feel comfortable free handing a pattern, you can use a large piece of white paper. Fold it in half and cut half of a heart shape out. When you open it up, it will be a perfect heart shape. You can easily alter the shape a bit until you get the exact size you want.

I keep a roll of freezer paper on hand for larger projects like this.

(The freezer paper is only used to make a pattern when a standard size piece of paper is too small. The freezer paper serves no other purpose, in this project.)

The first sweater I used had a great cable knit pattern, but the second one didn’t have much pattern except the band around the bottom. So, I turned my heart pattern to incorporate the band for a little added character.

And, here it is! My finished heart shaped sweater placemats.

They were super easy to make, and my thrifted sweaters cost about $5 each. I got 2 placemats per sweater, so $2.50 per placemat is pretty reasonable, if you ask me.

Not to mention, they are quite unique. Take a look at my Galentine’s Day brunch tablescape to see how I incorporated these heart placemats.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial for how I made a heart sweater placemat. I would love to hear if you try it.

blessings,

michele

Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss a post and I would love for you to follow me on Instagram and Facebook.

Pin it to remember it….

If you enjoyed this post, you might like…

https://www.vintagehomedesigns.com/how-to-fold-a-napkin-into-an-envelope/

Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Vintage Home

• Debra
    Debra

What do you do to keep the sweater from unraveling? I'm sure you did not mean this to be throw-away placemats.

• Vintage Home
      Vintage Home

I haven't had trouble with them unraveling at all.

I didn't use color on them, because I don't typically use color in my home. I like to find ways to incorporate my neutral pallet, even in seasonal decor.

However, the touch of red, if it works in your home would be a very nice addition.

• Marcia Carper
    Marcia Carper

Cute idea. Are you in South Carolina? There is a restaurant there called Bubble and Squeak.

• Vintage Home
      Vintage Home

No, I am in Texas. Those are a set of Emma Bridgewater Pottery that I have been collecting for years.

• Judith
    Judith

1. What was the use of the freezer paper ? Is that a backing or do you put it on both sides of the heart, after it is cut out ?

2. How do you keep the sides from fraying ?

• Vintage Home
      Vintage Home

I used the freezer paper for the pattern. When a standard size sheet of paper it too small for my project, I use freezer paper.

I didn't do anything to the edges of mine, and I haven't had any trouble with fraying. I'm sure you could use Fray Check on the edges to prevent any fraying, if you are concerned about that.

• Nana4
    Nana4

Great idea. Very pretty placemats. I never would have thought of recycling a sweater for placemats. Thanks for the idea

• Lori
    Lori

Very nice idea! I also think the sweaters as chair covers are a great, classy idea!

For those worried about the placemats unraveling, there is a product called Fray Check by Dritz. You just squeeze it out around the edge of fabrics and the fabrics will not unravel. Also the product is clear, so you won’t even know it’s on there. You can get it at any fabric or craft store or even Walmart.

• Vintage Home
      Vintage Home

Thank you! So glad you enjoyed the post!

And yes, Fray Check is great, and I suggested it earlier in this thread to some readers that were concerned about fraying. Thank you for suggesting that, as well!