Laundry Room Makeover

$600

Hey everyone, are you drooling over laundry rooms that you see online but don't want to spend thousands. Here is a unique flip I did that landed me around $600, you cant get better then that!

This is the after shot so lets get into it and I will show you how its done!

The laundry room I worked on had absolutely nothing done to it so I had to start there by finishing the drywall and painting it fully. If you are already starting with drywall or need to remove any decor or shelves do so now then you have a fresh canvas to work on.

I love tile floor as much as any home-enthusiast but they were out of budget for this renovation. I used a vinyl click tile instead for around two dollars a square foot and what a difference already!

I then used a pre-fab cupboard and hung it on the wall above the washer. Originally I wanted to do uppers across the top but decided on floating shelves because the room isn’t very big and I wanted to keep it feeling as open as possible.

I measured the space between the cupboard and wall and started to make the braces for the shelves.

I ripped some scrap wood down to 2 inch widths but you can buy 2x2 also.

I cut it to length and then cut 3 supports per shelf and attached them with glue and screws. This way the shelf has strength.

In my laundry room, the dryer vent is right in the middle so I measured where the dryer vent had to go, then I could use my jigsaw to cut a circle in the pine to feed the vent through. If you dont have a vent in the middle of your wall dont worry about this step and simply just cut your pine to the length and width of your shelf. My laundry room is in the basement so the vent has to be above ground.

When the shelves were up and trimmed out I moved to the wall. Wall paper is really nice and definitely coming back but this is a very easy way to achieve the same look for next to nothing in cost. I used my paint brush to dip into some black paint that I had and angled it and painted one “dab” every 3-5 inches.

At first I used painters tape to level them evenly but quickly realized that each brush stroke wasn’t even or on the same angle so I just went for it. If you have a more precise pattern then painters tape is great but this one doesn’t need it.

This step isn’t nessicary but I have a bump out where the plumbing is from the upstairs bathroom so that was drywalled but wasn’t taped or mudded yet. Instead of taping it I used 4 inch trim and went along the seams to hide the joints.

Along with a few other pieces to make it a custom feature wall and it was WAY easier then mudding and about an hour vs a few days or drying and sanding time.

I painted it in a beautiful grey-grey and I love it!

I caulked everything and added some finishing touches and I am so happy with the end result! What do you think?

25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters

• Jane
    Jane

I like the idea of the geometric design with wood to cover drywall joints. That gives the wall a unique look and eliminates the hassle of mud, tape, sand, etc. Did I say I hate drywall dust?

• Susie
    Susie

You did a fabulous job! Well done!

• Maria-Patricia
    Maria-Patricia
    7 minutes ago

Awesome ideas!, specially: imitating wallpaper and covering the drywall joints with nice wood slab.