How do I clean these blinds?

+20

Easiest, efficient way to clean these type of blinds?

q how do i clean these blinds
  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Jun 13, 2021

Many people use tongs with a rag to wipe them. I've found the best way to clean my own filthy blinds was to use a cheap, thin cotton rag that doesn't hold much water. Wet it and wipe down each slat. A pain, I know, but it works great with rinsing the rag in the sink as it gets dirty.

• Mogie Mogie on Jun 13, 2021

I still have one mini blind and when it time to clean it I take it down and soak it in my bathtub with about a tablespoon of Dawn. Just rinse and let dry hanging in place. I let them soak for at least an hour before rinsing the Dawn needs a little time to soak the crud off.

• Joyce Summers Joyce Summers on Jun 13, 2021

I have rentals where the blinds get very dirty. I take them down, hang them

on an outside wall (like the garage) hose them down, spray with cleaner, brush,

and hose down again. Excellent results without too much work.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jun 13, 2021

Here's how I do it:

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-clean-blinds-1387924

• Deb K Deb K on Jun 13, 2021

Hi Lisa, put the blinds in a closed position and turn the slats downward, remove the blinds and carefully carry them out to your yard, lay them flat on a deck or the ground and spray with a cleaner like spray nine, simple green or whatever you have on hand, let sit for about 2-3 minutes, then pull out your garden hose and rinse, you can pick them up after the initial rinse and and spray them while holding, lay them on a table or safe place to dry (quickly on a warm day) then rehang, super easy and fast, hope this helps!

• See 1 previous
    • Deb K Deb K on Jun 14, 2021

Yes, spray on let sit for a few minutes then rinse until water runs clear, and dry outside

• J Brown J Brown on Jun 13, 2021

If you are able to take them down the bathtub is your BEST option. I use HOT water and powdered DW detergent. Swish water until dissolved and then drop blinds in. Slosh the water around a bit and let them soak, over night is OK. When ready to remove drain the tub poor clear water over them. I usually stand them on end in the tub to drain completely.

You can do several at a time but be sure to keep the cords wrapped so they are not all tangled together.

• William William on Jun 13, 2021

I hang mine over the tub. Wet them down with a hand held shower head, Spray them with all purpose cleaner, scrub them down with a duster, rise with a hand held shower head, and let them drip dry.

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Jun 13, 2021

Here is how I clean mine - https://chascrazycreations.com/13-vacuum-cleaning-tips/

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 13, 2021

Hello. I have used a moistened cleaning wipe on light dust or soiling on both blinds and plantation shutters. If wipes are excessively moist a paper towel might additionally be layered.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 13, 2021

Hi Lisa: Here are some suggestions:

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-clean-blinds-1387924?utm_campaign=househomesl&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cn_nl&utm_content=23616838&utm_term=

https://www.thespruce.com/clean-window-blinds-1900558?utm_campaign=househomesl&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cn_nl&utm_content=22161227&utm_term=

Here's what I do: I use warm water and some Dawn in a bucket and, if the blinds are greasy, I put in about 1/4 cup of vinegar too, and have a bucket of clean warm water along side. I put an old, thick, sock on my hand, put it in the soapy water, squeeze it out and do the top and bottom slat at the same time. Once they are all done, I get another old, thick sock and wipe them again with the clean water. You don't take the blinds down, leave them up and clean them where they are:) Easy as anything easy you can think of:) You can push your finger through the string part to get that clean. It only takes a flash, and you can look outside at the same time and watch the birds, hum some songs, or invent things with your time:)

Good luck

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 14, 2021

If it has been some time since the blinds were taken down completely and washed thoroughly, then wiping with wet wipe or dampened paper towel will not be sufficient to get rid of the sticky feeling that may have accumulated on the slats.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jun 14, 2021

This tool is probably the easiest way to clean them while they are still hanging. If very dirty, you can damp dust them.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B093PNQWWR?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win10-other-smile-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp&ref=aa_scomp

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Jun 14, 2021

use the brush attachment on your vacuum for a fast clean or you can use a white sock on your hand and lightly dampen it with water to clean off spots or grime

• Annie Annie on Jun 16, 2021

If they are the plastic type, put them in the bathtub, warm soapy water, hang outside to dry

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Jun 17, 2021

There are lots of ideas here: Home and Garden DIY Ideas | Hometalk

• PJ PJ on Jun 17, 2021

After you've cleaned them, it may be helpful to remove the extra slats at the bottom. Less area to get dirty. We've done that and it was easy.

• William William on Jun 17, 2021

Noticed you haven't shortened the blinds to fit the window. You can remove the tons of extra slats you have at the bottom. Generally I leave about two to three slats at the bottom with the main rail.

• Debbie Debbie on Jun 18, 2021

lay them on a picnic table wash them on both sides. Then hang them on wash line and spray them off with a hose.

• Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Jun 19, 2021

Agree with Mogi. I put the rubber anti-skid mat in my bathtub first. I use Tide as stronger. Let soak. Swish around. rinse. Then I prop them up against the shower wall to drip and dry.

• Janice Janice on Jun 19, 2021

I have similar blinds in several windows in my home and I clean the blinids using a damp cloth and wipe each slot starting from the top to bottom of the unit and have found that by doing this every few months the blinds continue to look brand new. Since mine are wood (I believe) I've been concerned about submerging them in water for any length of time and quite frankly, afraid I would be able to get the blinds back in place by myself.