Ann S
Ann S
  • Kalamazoo, MI

Does anyone know what this is. A neighbor down the street has this & not sure what it is?

Debbie / Dragonfly TreasureElizabeth SCheryl Gough
+30

This is the 2x it's bloomed this season. I want to get some of these! There's ton of these in between there side walk & street. But these where cut down one once. And have grown again.
Close up!
Close up!
for leaves.
for leaves.
  • Designs by BSB

sorry..(deleted comment) no idea how the blog post mixed up! wow

• Kirk Melissa S

Evening primrose in pink.

• Miriam I

Becky Sue, I think your comment ended up on the wrong post?

• Jennifer A

It fills in nicely but can be very invasive - the more you pull the more it spreads -

• Ann S

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Ann S

BeckySue, the blog went to hot-water!

• Ann S

Ok looked it up is defineltly a primrose in pink & can be invasive it said. Know I don't know if I want it or not! humm

• Walter Reeves

evening primrose, Oenothera speciosa

• Sherry L

Yes, Primrose. they grow wild in S.TX.

• Ann S

Ok it spreads but will it choke out other flowers around it?

• Ann S

• Ann S

See where I wanted to put it! Should I.

does anyone know what this is a neighbor down the street has this amp not sure, gardening, See I wanted to put that Primrose in my 2 boxes up front way But still have other flowers in there too
  • Elizabeth S

We call it a butter cup and it does spread just so you know.

• Ann S

But does it choke out other flowers that are around it, big QUESTION?

• Debra D

It's a weed here around Houston, Tx. We call it buttercups. The green parts are very lacy, and I have never seen it choke anything else out. The other weeds in the fields where it grows seem to come up through it. I would think bulbs planted under it would be ok. Delicate flowers might not be up to the fight for nutrients. It is very sweet and pretty, but prolific.

• Debbie M

Also called "Mexican Evening Primrose", botanical name Oenothera. NO it will not "choke" out other plants; however, it does spread, and this can be curtailed by simply yanking up any offending extra plants. It is hardy, beautiful, and a great staple in the garden. Trim it during the summer and it will re-bloom. Mine gets too tall, so I occasionally shear it off. Full sun to part shade is fine, and when you first plant it, water it in thoroughly and watch to make sure it does not get wilted. Once established, it requires little or no care.

• Ann S

Debbie M- what do you mean curtailed by yanking out? Do you mean it spreads more by doing so! So if that is true do you dig up to get rid of it where not wanted. Wondering if it will grow out of boxes & it hard to keep in an area for it then?

• Sherry L

Never seen them choke out other plants. They reseed and so you will have to control the spread.

• Debbie M

Ann, I meant that if you have too much, just pull the ones you don't want out of the ground and add them to your compost pile. It will grow almost anywhere. No, pulling up a plant by the roots will not encourage it to spread. (with the exception of English Ivy, which will spread if you even look at it!) And, it will not get out of control if you pay attention to it a couple of times per year. Easy as pie to keep once established. One woman's weed is another woman's beautiful addition to the garden. Go for it!

• Sherry L

Offer extras to friends and neighbors. It is amazing how many plants that are thinned go into the trash or composter. I am always up for cast offs. I had so many ferns at my last home that I pulled up bags full and gave them away. They can be pretty expensive at garden shops. I have plants that people have shared over the years. It is fun to remember where they came from, like the red rose that a friend gave my mother and she shared with me. I have rooted them for my daughters. That rose is so old no one knows what it's original name was. We just call it by the name of the first person who shared it.

• Ann S

Love it Sherry L.

• K. Stevens

Mexican evening primrose...A gardener told me that you will spend 5 minutes planting it and a lifetime trying to get rid of it!

• Dorothy

Mexican evening primrose. Hardy and drought tolerant (and can drown). Used for landscaping in western desert areas due to these characteristics. Does reseed but not a problem as seedlings can be pulled easily if you get too many. Looks great with things like lavender and Russian sage.

• Cheryl Gough

I have it and it spreads like crazy but is easily pulled out where you don't want it.

• MaeGatineau

i thought buttercup was yellow

• Mars

Use it in containers throughout your garden, that way it won't spread taking out other plants you want to keep.

• MaeGatineau

it looks more like the wild morning glory my mother had near her house it runs wild and will choke thees if it gets around the branches and its very hard to get rid of if that,s what this is

• MaeGatineau

this is one picture of wild morning glory

• The Chirping Frog

I have it and it does spread like crazy and its easily pulled if you have the time to keep it under control. It blooms beautifully mid-spring. it tends to look like a weed the rest of the year. I do love it though even if it is a little bit obnoxious.

• Elvira Irene

It is called pink evening primrose in Texas.

• Cheryl Gough

Definately pink primrose.

• Elizabeth S

Here in Texas we call it buttercup not sure of actual name.

• Evening Primrose, very Hardy and can become invasive, but pretty