Amber
Amber
  • Claypool, AZ
Asked on Aug 14, 2012

flooring

MeribethAngela ElderCarol S
+10

i dont know what to do with these floors!!!!!! too much white tile!! should i paint them or pull them up or what?
my kitchen and dining room with my never ending white tile.
my living room  with more of the white tile. i dont know what do with it.
my living room with more of the white tile. i dont know what do with it.
  • Meir W

Why not try an area rug between the couches?

• Amber, I love the white tile. I would use a large rug which would be large enough to go at least under the front legs of both sofas. Not a dark rug but something with light and dark combinations to bring the white floor and the dark furniture and drapes together. Use throw pillows and other accessories with some light background to add more white around the room. Ann

• Z

Ditto Meir and the detail Ann added. Very good advise.

• Donna R

Doesn't the suggestion of a rug sound so much easier than painting or pulling them up? Go for it!

• Lin R

All of my daughters floors in her home are just like this. She has to mop them constantly with 4 kids and 2 dogs. So glad they are not mine! I have wondered how painting them would work.

• Sharron W

@Amber, I Definately Find a Large Area Rug to Go under the dining table...It will make the room seem so much warmer and cozier....

• Sharon Marks

Painting would become a nightmare as it will wear and chip off. Tearing them up, depending on how they are sealed could take a LOT of work and mess. You could put a "floating laminate floor" over them or just some simple area rugs. Whatever works best for you is what matters. I love the floating laminate floor and it lasts for yrs! It is practically indestructible. Good luck in whatever you decide!

• Z

Never thought about about a floating floor. That's a great idea.

• Amber

thank you all for your responses. i have decided to change my kitchen and living room colors and go lighter. my kitchen has been the same for about 3years now. as for responses about the rugs, i did have rugs down both in the living room (carpet remnant, huge) and under the kitchen table but that little dog in the kitchen and my bigger dog pic used then for pee practice,lol so i stopped putting rugs down. but i am going to find a new home for the little one and put the big one in the back when i finish the yard.

• Amber

well i have decided to do a white monochromatic kitchen with the white floor tiles. i really think it will brighten up the two rooms and my floor wont look so yucky. i am going to try to whiten my grout with shoe polish or something. any opinions?

• Carol S

I understand your rug delima -- I have 2 small senior canine friends. Hope you haven't done anything drastic yet. Although, softening and lightening the LVR is agreat idea. love you kitchen -- I had to live with an ugly Knotty pine kitche for twenty year so three - is a short time. Here are a few ideas; Just remove the row of tiles across the entrance of you kitchen – replace them with smaller multi - color tiles – (some come on mats you can cut to size), stain the grout to co-ordinate the floor space with the walls, (that way your tile would remain in place yet, the floors would look difference. What ever you do have fun.

• Angela Elder

We had the exact same tile in our kitchen. It was very slick as it didn't have any texture at all. I busted my but on a drop of water many times lol. We ripped it all out and put down a tan/beige tile in 4 different sizes in a windmill pattern, with a dark grout. We will also be repeating that same tile/pattern in the sunroom, and the entryway. We found a wood plank looking tile that looks just like hardwood that the dining room, living room, and downstairs bedroom will be in. We just finished the entire upstairs with hardwood that we stained and it turned out beautifully. The reason for the tan/beige is that it is neutral and will go with pretty much any paint color and will add resale value. We also had pet pee issues when we had rugs so that had to go. Good luck with whatever you do!

• Meribeth

I would buy a large sisal rug...natural look and easy.