Dresser Drawer Upcyle: Window Boxes

A few years ago, someone gave me one of those plastic coated pressboard made-to-look-like-wood dressers and it wreaked of cigarette smoke. But I'll pretty much take anything that's free! I decided to repurpose the drawers rather than try to do anything with the whole piece.

Wouldn't you agree that window boxes dress up any home?! I felt my home desperately needed some.

Use the drawers from an old dresser

The dresser in it's sad, cheap before state.

Cut the backs off

The first year I used these, we cut the back half off and screwed them to the house, lining the press board drawers with plastic. It was fall, so I just stuck some pretty dried weeds from the ditch in some stryofoam and called it good.

Paint drawers

The pressboard obviously warped and didn't look too great the next summer.... so we improved upon them:

Add wood brackets and long planters

I happened to find these long plastic planters on a curb for free (I know, you're wondering how I get everything for free, but it just happens!) and we used wood brackets (also free because they were scraps from the end of the beams for our pergola) that we screwed into the house to set the planters on.

Add flowers

Since we recently moved to a different home, I sadly don't have any window boxes yet. I would also need a LOT more because there are so many windows on the front of our new house. We'll see! Maybe it will be a project for this summer. Or next....

To see more details please visit: http://www.kammyskorner.com/2013/08/dresser-drawer-window-boxes-new-and.html

Kammy's Korner

• CWise

Did you screw the drawer fronts to your planters?

• Shawna Bailey

She must have. It's really pretty

• Kammy's Korner

Yes, that's how they're attached. :) I used them in the original drawer the first year, but it was that cheap press board and wasn't holding up, so I moved on to planters.

• CWise

Thanks for answering. They are beautiful and a great way to use the drawer fronts.

• Dianne Paquette

Great idea, I love the look of these!

• Debra Madden

What happened to the rest of the dresser did it get turned into a book case or anything or storage unit...

• Lori Johnson

That's an idea. It could be used as an entryway shelving unit to put boots and shoes in. Even a place to store garden tools. I was thinking the same thing too.

• Lori Johnson

• Janet McCarraher

That is a clever & attractive way to repurpose the dresser. I love the color of your front door. Do you happen to know the color you used? I think my front door would look great in that color.

• Rudy Anne

Looks like cottage blue from the cottage series at Home Depot. I too love that color and was going to use it for something.

• Wendy Baldwin

I think the color is Cool Pool by Valspar. It says that in the shopping list. I think it’s a very cute cottage look. I love a cottage look!

• Lori Johnson

Would something like this work on a trailer house?

• Janice

Absolutely, it would work and be really cute!

• Mike

That's the only place this should work, in a Trailer Court

• Christina Hindle

So what are you saying?

• Shuganne

Now isn't that better unsaid?

• Cathy Hays

Meow, was that necessary? Did your comment add anything positive to the conversation?

• Traci

I don’t think this is the correct forum to be mean and hurtful. Perhaps you have had a difficult morning?

• Dana

If you don’t like a project maybe just move on to the next. No need to spread your hate and venom. So petty

• Carol Jackson

To Lori, I'm sure this idea would be cute. To everyone please accept my apology for previous response to mmcfarlinm(that is not showing now. ) The comment was that idea would only look nice in a trailer park. Not acceptable or necessary.

• Lori Johnson

I'm always trying to find cute and pretty ideas to decorate an older trailer house. This is a pretty idea. I like it.

• Han32945037

How to secure to stucco?

• Ruthie Langston Terry

Cute but without some sort of paint or sealer won't the wood disintegrate quickly in the outdoors?

• Margaret Green

They appear to have been painted in the final photo. Totally different color from the original dresser.

• Jewellmartin

And on the beach you need some really good paint and sealer. Heat, water, salt resistant. Deck/boat paint would probably be the best. Really cute idea ☺️

• Kammy's Korner

The drawer fronts are plastic - it was one of those cheap-o dressers with plastic drawer fronts. I switched out the drawer back for actual planters, because yes, like the post said, the pressboard only lasted one summer.

• Jan

This is a great & beautiful idea. It really dresses up the front windows.

Why couldn't you use most of the drawer, & then you wouldn't see the pots at each end ? You could always drill drain holes in the bottom of drawer for water leakage.

Jan

• Mnd25501115

I like the idea of using more of the drawer to hide the pot at both ends and lining the bottom of the drawer with a waterproof liner and putting in drainholes.

• MaryLea Mann Benson

In the picture with the weeds you can see the sides of the drawers. She stated that the pressboard warped. This would be why the sides and bottom are open.

• Donna

I used the full drawers in my backyard. Applied plastic lining and drilled the holes for drainage... sadly the word warps and the drawers only last one season

• Helen a

what is the plant behind the hostas---thanks

• Esther Faunce DiPaola

I always wanted window boxes. But my siding goes all the way up to the bottom of the window. Would you DRILL holes in the siding??

• Lindy

If you drill holes in the siding it could negate any warranty or allow water to get behind the siding and cause damage. Maybe you could do an inexpensive build for the boxes to sit on under your windows?

• Gail

If it’s vinyl, you may find no-drill hooks that clip over the siding. If you drill, water may seep in. Google it for articles or videos for more information.

• Maxie

I would not drill holes in the siding because it will always be there,..when you are ready to make a change..I.e. remove the window box

• Patsy47

thats what CAULK is for...just get a silicone sealant if needed....very easy.

• Wendy Baldwin

Would command hooks work outside?

• Jan

I agree not.time will holes in your siding however you might want to use wood without so much weight to it and then try mounting g with the Command strips using the ones that will hold the heaviest weight. I have found these things to be very useful. I hope this helps your creative wheels start turning and I really hope I helped !

• Coletom

Did you apply anything to preserve the draws from the rain and weather? Thanks.

• Cathy Hays

After you paint just apply two or three coats of a good polyurethane and that will seal them. Of course since it’s wood they will eventually rot. But a good poly will extend their lives.

• Rosel Kynast

Love love love it.

What a very clever edea .

• Coletom

Thanks Cathy.

• Larry Pettijohn

If not mistaken the outer casing of the drawer fronts from that era are plastic

• Janet B

Brilliant!!!!

• Tamera Sellers

I was just at your blog and couldn't find the drawer window boxes , I have a question what exactly do you affix the drawer front to?? Just can't seem to see it and with what??

Thanks!!

• Traderal

Looks like the drawer fronts are simply screwed to the ends of the wooden brackets. Should last for at least the life of the drawer parts since there is zero pressure on the fronts. I would use a good outdoor screw to hold them together.

• Paula P

Do you remember the paint color used on the door? It's just what I'm looking for.

• Carol Jean Ferguson

Looks like Behr's Ocean Boulevard PPU13-10 at Home Depot or Valspar's Crystal Sea 5004-7B or Sea Seeker 5004-7C at Lowe's

• Paula P

Thank you Carol. I'll check those out.

• Tracey

She mentions cool pool by Valspar.

• Jackie Angus

So what did you put on the front of the drawers being pressed wood it seems like they would Swell and fall apart. I do love this idea, very simple to.

• Donna

She mentioned Valspar’s Cool Pool in her notes and since she mentioned two colors but the drawer fronts are only one color, I would bet the other is the door color.

• Kammy's Korner

I think it was Valspar HONEY POT (the yellow). Don't even know if they still make it - It was a long time ago - Hometalk dug up a really old post of mine! haha. :)

• Cathy

Very nice!!! I love this idea!

• Deb

Last week you had a spendle wood project with tin wove in and out as a blind to hide air conditioner how can I find it

• Sue33760946

just wanted to let you know that I really love this. How would you put the brace on a brick house???

• Christine

With masonry screws.

• Pat Wright

How do I even put the Brackets on the house BECAUSE YHEY ARE LONG GATED SO I AM REALLY NOT UNDERSTANDING HOW TO DO THIS PLEASE HELP I DONT KNOW HOW YOU RESPOND TO ME BUT HERE IS MY

E- MALE ADDRESS

pwright6982@gmail.com. THANK YOU 🙏🏻 SO SO MUCH ,can’t wait to here from you .

• Patricia Cook

There are clips i have seen advertised that you can put on brick or other siding to attach things to. Try Lowes, Menards, Home Depot.

• Sarah Hayden Morris

could one do this on a rental?

• Suzanne

Use a concrete bit on your drill and drill holes in the mortar. Then tap in a little protector and place screw through bracket. Screw into mortar.

• Shirley

Beter to attach to the wood trim as shown in the photos.

• Claudia Williams

Very nice! I would maybe try taking handles off drawers and just put some type of decorative item over holes? Still looks beautiful!

• Sue

I like the handles! So classy looking! What other kind of decoration would you use? I can't even think of anything that would look good without making it look cheap and "kitschy."

• Lani

If you wanted to do something other than handles there are some wonderful carved wooden add-ons (that I happened to have found in Lowe's) that could easily be glued to the fronts and painted in an accent color as an interesting flourish!

• Debra

How did the fronts last in the rain? Did you treat the with something?

• Kammy's Korner

They were some kind of plastic- not actually wood. And I have no idea how they've held up because we moved from that house five years ago. This is a very old post Hometalk dug up. :)

• Wendy Roithner

I believe the fronts are plastic.

• Diane Snead

That was my understanding

Also. Plastic would survive the weather.

• Gail

I think just as you would treat a wood frame house. And make sure you put some holes in the bottom for when it rains.

• Dawn Gildemeister Geerdes

It’s not the whole drawer, just the front- which is some kind of plastic- and a planter box behind it.

• Ardale

These are really pretty and dress your windows and house front beautifully but I was wondering why you didn't attach a board on each end to cover up your burnt orange plastic planter trays? I think it would look nicer if the ends matched your drawer front's size and color to hide and keep your eyes from being drawn to those plastic flower trays. Just something to think about!

• Wendy

Great idea. Would just finish it off!!

• Lovesunique

Ardale, I so agree and would maybe paint the fronts to match shutters or door colors.

• Kammy's Korner

Yup, I totally should have! I did that at least 7 or 8 years ago, I don't even live in that house anymore! Haha

• Har17325814

No, that would take away the whimsy! That contrasting colors are so cute!

• Carol

Can you screw into aluminum siding?

• Linda C

Did you think of painting the flower boxes and the front door to match?

• Judy

Really I agree

• Julie Tomlin

No! Contrast is good, and front doors should always be their own distinctive color to emphasize the entrance to the home.

• Mikkigirl

I believe this QUESTION forum is to ask for clarification on how to do the project.

• Sarah

I much prefer the incredible combo of colors chosen to all "matching necklace earring set"

• RichandTammy Whiteside

Non-project related question: Your hostas are gorgeous! How are you keeping the deer away from them?

• Ann Walsh

The only thing that saves my hostas from the vermin is to place brightly colored Mylar wind spinners in the ground in front of them. Available (seasonal) at Dollar Tree for $1.00 each.

• Jeannie Housel

What brand and color paint was used on the door?

• Jackie Lynnley

Could we see what it looks like from inside? It looks as if there is something inside covering the window up far enough to hide the flowerpots?

• Marjorie

What are the drawer fronts attached to, the brackets or the flower pot?

• Renee Walters

It looks to have a bit of a gap between the flower pot and the brackets. So my guess would be they are attached to the pot edge at the top.

• Kitty

Don't know what they did, but I'd use a strong hinge so I could fold down the front when watering or replacing pots.

• Kitty

Could also set screws into the dresser front to attach it to the corbals use wood puddy to fill in where you set in the screw then paint it.

• Beth

How did you secure the front of the drawer to the plastic planter?

• Susan Hartley

Any ideas for a buffet in the kitchen

• C Lynn Mak

You are very creative! Thank you sharing this!

• Mª Dolores Márquez

not question only I want sais ist very nice your idea. i am sorry my english is very bad. Congratulecions

• Shan

A compliment is a good thing however you say it. And I’m sure everyone understood it perfectly, and appreciated it.