Dresser Drawer Upcyle: Window Boxes

A few years ago, someone gave me one of those plastic coated pressboard made-to-look-like-wood dressers and it wreaked of cigarette smoke. But I'll pretty much take anything that's free! I decided to repurpose the drawers rather than try to do anything with the whole piece.
dresser drawer upcyle window boxes, container gardening, gardening, repurposing upcycling
Wouldn't you agree that window boxes dress up any home?! I felt my home desperately needed some.
The dresser in it's sad, cheap before state.
The first year I used these, we cut the back half off and screwed them to the house, lining the press board drawers with plastic. It was fall, so I just stuck some pretty dried weeds from the ditch in some stryofoam and called it good.
The pressboard obviously warped and didn't look too great the next summer.... so we improved upon them:
I happened to find these long plastic planters on a curb for free (I know, you're wondering how I get everything for free, but it just happens!) and we used wood brackets (also free because they were scraps from the end of the beams for our pergola) that we screwed into the house to set the planters on.
Since we recently moved to a different home, I sadly don't have any window boxes yet. I would also need a LOT more because there are so many windows on the front of our new house. We'll see! Maybe it will be a project for this summer. Or next....
To see more details please visit: http://www.kammyskorner.com/2013/08/dresser-drawer-window-boxes-new-and.html
Kammy's Korner

• CWise

Did you screw the drawer fronts to your planters?

• Shawna Bailey

She must have. It's really pretty

• Kammy's Korner

Yes, that's how they're attached. :) I used them in the original drawer the first year, but it was that cheap press board and wasn't holding up, so I moved on to planters.

• CWise

Thanks for answering. They are beautiful and a great way to use the drawer fronts.

• Dianne Paquette

Great idea, I love the look of these!

• Debra Madden

What happened to the rest of the dresser did it get turned into a book case or anything or storage unit...

• Lori Johnson

That's an idea. It could be used as an entryway shelving unit to put boots and shoes in. Even a place to store garden tools. I was thinking the same thing too.

• Lori Johnson

• Janet McCarraher

That is a clever & attractive way to repurpose the dresser. I love the color of your front door. Do you happen to know the color you used? I think my front door would look great in that color.

• Rudy Anne

Looks like cottage blue from the cottage series at Home Depot. I too love that color and was going to use it for something.

• Wendy Baldwin

I think the color is Cool Pool by Valspar. It says that in the shopping list. I think it’s a very cute cottage look. I love a cottage look!

• Lori Johnson

Would something like this work on a trailer house?

• Janice

Absolutely, it would work and be really cute!

• Mike

That's the only place this should work, in a Trailer Court

• Christina Hindle

So what are you saying?

• Shuganne

Now isn't that better unsaid?

• Cathy Hays

Meow, was that necessary? Did your comment add anything positive to the conversation?

• Traci

I don’t think this is the correct forum to be mean and hurtful. Perhaps you have had a difficult morning?

• Dana

If you don’t like a project maybe just move on to the next. No need to spread your hate and venom. So petty

• Carol Jackson

To Lori, I'm sure this idea would be cute. To everyone please accept my apology for previous response to mmcfarlinm(that is not showing now. ) The comment was that idea would only look nice in a trailer park. Not acceptable or necessary.

• Lori Johnson

I'm always trying to find cute and pretty ideas to decorate an older trailer house. This is a pretty idea. I like it.

• Han32945037

How to secure to stucco?

• Ruthie Langston Terry

Cute but without some sort of paint or sealer won't the wood disintegrate quickly in the outdoors?

• Margaret Green

They appear to have been painted in the final photo. Totally different color from the original dresser.

• Jewellmartin

And on the beach you need some really good paint and sealer. Heat, water, salt resistant. Deck/boat paint would probably be the best. Really cute idea ☺️

• Kammy's Korner

The drawer fronts are plastic - it was one of those cheap-o dressers with plastic drawer fronts. I switched out the drawer back for actual planters, because yes, like the post said, the pressboard only lasted one summer.

• Jan

This is a great & beautiful idea. It really dresses up the front windows.

Why couldn't you use most of the drawer, & then you wouldn't see the pots at each end ? You could always drill drain holes in the bottom of drawer for water leakage.

Jan

• Mnd25501115

I like the idea of using more of the drawer to hide the pot at both ends and lining the bottom of the drawer with a waterproof liner and putting in drainholes.

• MaryLea Mann Benson

In the picture with the weeds you can see the sides of the drawers. She stated that the pressboard warped. This would be why the sides and bottom are open.

• Helen a

what is the plant behind the hostas---thanks

• Kammy's Korner

it's a variegated grass I got from a friend's flower garden. :)

• Karla

I have a bunch of it planted around my deck and it is called Zebra grass.

• Carolyn King

Ornamental grass, there are a few different kinds

• Esther Faunce DiPaola

I always wanted window boxes. But my siding goes all the way up to the bottom of the window. Would you DRILL holes in the siding??

• Debbie Wood

I put rollers on dresser drawers & slide under the bed for storage. For handles, I cut up old men’s ties and stapled to the fronts. Just another idea for you.

• Mikie

kewl idea, very nice.