Front Foyer – Before & After

They say first impressions are everything. I used to think the entryway of a home served one purpose—a place to toss your shoes and coats. After living in and renovating a few homes myself, I soon began to realize it’s a little more than just that.

This tiny front foyer was the perfect blank canvas to have some fun. I took a modern yet youthful approach to this design which all began with the flooring.

When we purchased the home, we had an abundant of white square tiles everywhere. Although it does not look that bad in the below images, they were actually stained and really dingy looking in person. The tile floor really showed it’s age. Since this tile carried throughout most of the main floor, we removed all of it during our demolition days and replaced it with hardwood floors for a warmer look. . . .

I opted for a bold geometric pattern that utilizes three different colours: black, white and grey. This colour combo is still neutral enough for an elegant look but also provides a striking pattern for the floor. In this case, the tile work is my focal point so I wanted to keep everything else simple.

Adding a pop of bright yellow is just another way to add colour to a rather neutral palette. I also added some interest by using these wall art decal stickers. Which by the way, is a first look at one of my many designs that I will be selling in my upcoming shop this Spring!

The walls, trim, front door and closet doors all got some new paint. It really is the easiest way to breath in new life and refresh a space. You can view my closet door makeover to see how I transformed standard white builder doors with awesome new brass pulls from House of Antique Hardware.

For the light, it wasn’t in the budget to buy a new fancy fixture. I tried to create a DIY project using the existing fixture on the ceiling and after a failed attempt, I gave up and moved on to Plan B. What do you think?

See Pink Little Notebook's blog post for full details!

Sabrina

• Jennifer Morgan

I absolutely love how this turned out. We have a foyer that goes right into the livingroom with open concept dining I plan on adding some shiplap to some walls but also paint. What is the color of your walls? I absolutely love that gray. Thank you!

• Patience

what brand and color of paint is this on your walls? I love this color...

• Ella

A wonderful transformation, I would find reason's to " hang out" in the foyer. You have inspired me !

• Nicole

BEAUTIFUL!