DIY Chalkboard Freezer

How to turn a worn out freezer into a new beautiful chalkboard freezer
While driving home one night I spotted a chest freezer sitting on the curb. I have wanted a freezer for a while, but just did not want to spend the money. I begged my husband to pick it up and he said no, it probably doesn’t work anyways. I said that if it didn’t work then my dad could scrap it. No, no, no he said. But then he went and got it for me. Yay! :)
And guess what it works! But it was beyond dirty…gross really. Note: I made sure to plug it in and place a bowl of water in it to verify that it worked before attempting to clean it.
So the next morning armed with baking soda, a spray bottle with 2 cups of water, 2 teaspoons of vinegar and 2 teaspoons of dish soap, and a bleach mixture (3 parts water and 1 part bleach) I went out to the garage to clean the freezer. With a lot of scrubbing and using a toothbrush along the seals, the freezer looks a lot better.
I decided that I wanted to paint the freezer using chalkboard paint for two reasons. 1) It will hide some of the stains that I could not remove and 2) I will be able to write on the freezer what is inside therefore I won’t lose food, hopefully!

Paris Anderson

• Ann Cassler

Great work saving that appliance! Great idea about chalkboard paint. I've been planning to tape a list for awhile but haven't gotten around to it yet. I still rummage through the food to find out if I need more chicken (which I always do) or other meats or veggies. At least I separate by shelves but, following another posting here, I'm going to use separate bins to sort meats and veggies, etc. Still want a list outside but chalkboard is so much easier to see and maintain than pencil or pen on paper!

• Patricia Blue

You have been an inspiration. I have had my chest freezer for a long time, and now it looks like it, LOL.