Where do I start in the demolition of my bathroom?

+2
we only have 1 and 3 people live here. I noticed black mold along the tub/wall seam.I hope to save some money by having a blank slate for a contractor

• Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Dec 15, 2017
    Here's a video that will help. As for the toilet, you might rent a Port-a-potty and set it in the back yard or on a back porch.

• Suzette Suzette on Dec 15, 2017
    Hi Judith, If you have black mold, you may want to leave it up to the contractor. It's nothing to mess around with. I have lung damage because of black mold, and I was doing the same thing, renovating my bathrooms. I didn't realize at the time how dangerous it is! PLEASE read this artical first!!! http://www.hgtv.com/remodel/interior-remodel/how-to-remove-black-mold

Please be careful!!

• Ken Ken on Dec 15, 2017
    Sounds like it would be better to just remove the caulking, clean and recaulk with silicone bathtub caulk.

If you take everything out of the bathroom then call the contractor in you will be down for a long time. Pretty much need somewhere else to live for a month or more.

You should talk with the contractor and get his advice. It is not likely that you will need to take everything down to studs but if you do I would not expect that the inconvenience would be worth the money saved.

If you just want to replace the tub and surround it would take two guys a couple of hours to remove the old one and replace with a one-piece (if they can get it through the doors) in a day or two. Again, the best advice will come from a contractor who can see your place and make the best recommendations.

• Great suggestions her! Be careful with the mold. Kill it with vinegar before you start and wear masks and eye protection if you plan on proceeding yourself. Absolutely rent a pot-a-potty during the construction phase.

• Dfm Dfm on Dec 15, 2017
    there is a method to dispose of human waste with out flushing. 5 gal.bucket lined with 2 plastic garbage bags, kitty litter....the cheap clay stuff. A good 2 inches in the bottom. Add more litter to absorb liquids...tie off and reload bucket with bag and kitty litter. It’s a lot less expensive than renting a porta pot. You can pick up a toilet seat for the 5 gal. Buckets at many camping supply places. They also have shower tents...and the water bags for a shower. some camping stores will rent out equipment .