How can I refinish my bathroom vanity without stripping?

Jane Gies
by Jane Gies
+6
My vanity has places where the finish is worn off from water splashes. The current finish is clear on oak and looks yellow. I do not want paint it but would like the finish to be darker. Help!
q how can i refinish my bathroom vanity without stripping
You can see the way on the drawers and around the hardwear.
The "yellowie" color is so dated.
  • Lisa Lee Bernier Lisa Lee Bernier on Jul 03, 2017
    paint over it

• Christine Christine on Jul 03, 2017
    if u don't want to paint it your only option is to strip it and restain it. For about $100 Home Depot has out kits to redo cupboard and u can choose colours. It makes a world of difference and looks awesome.

• Skylar Skylar on Jul 03, 2017
    You can stain it- It's way simpler than painting

• Dee Dee on Jul 03, 2017
    Buy Minwax gel stain or General Finish gel stain.

• KattywhampusLOL KattywhampusLOL on Jul 03, 2017
    Jane, I think I found justthe thing for you. Although he talks of kitchen cabinets here, itwould apply to your bathroom cabinet too :) Hope this helps you find the satisfaction you are looking for with your cabinets :) Thanks for using Hometalk for help :)

• Diana Lewis Diana Lewis on Jul 03, 2017
    Several coats of Tung oil. Remove hardware first though.

• Birdz of a Feather Birdz of a Feather on Jul 03, 2017
    Jane, I know you don't want to paint it but have a look at the vanity I made over in my Mom's house; paint was such great transformation! Maybe you'll reconsider? http://www.hometalk.com/diy/bathroom/vanities/bathroom-vanity-makeover-27260045

• B. Enne B. Enne on Jul 04, 2017
    Hi Jane,

You do not have to strip it. I did my orange-y oak kitchen cabinets in an espresso finish with Old Masters gel stain, and it was my first time. It has been up for a few years and still looks new.

I used a deglosser (Like liquid Sandpaper)...any generic brand will do. I applied it with steel wool and gave a good scrub, You don't have to push too hard, but make sure to even out the rough spots, and remove the gloss. I wiped off the residue with a damp cloth and let the cabinets dry overnight.

I applied the satin with old socks on top of plastic gloves. I like it because I could feel all the nooks and crannies. I through out the sock when it became saturated. You can also use a brush (could streak) or rags. I let each coat dry a day. I put about 3 light coats. The cabinets were second-hand and the sink cabinet was really awfull and water damaged. You can't tell the difference now.

Since I bought the stain at a B.M. dealer, they told me to top coat it with Stays Clear acrylic polyurethane. It comes in flat, low and high gloss finish. I never used it, but in a bathroom it would be important.

Have fun!