What kind of door should I be looking for ?

+5

Need a door from my garage to my family room in the basement...What type of door do I need? Interior or exterior?

• Janice Janice on Apr 23, 2020

Hello, here's some info I found online. The type of door may well depend upon your local building regulations. Some people prefer the additional ensurance of a metal door betwen garage and interior of the home.

Chceck out this link, it may help you decide.

https://structuretech1.com/houses-dont-have-firewalls/

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Apr 23, 2020

Exterior. It will have insulation and added security. :)

• Gk Gk on Apr 23, 2020

My vote is for an exterior door especially if you have an unheated garage.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 23, 2020

Hi Daw: Well, the question is whether the door is exposed to the elements or not. If so, then get an exterior door. Buy one that is metal and has a metal frame as opposed to a wooden frame. If someone were to try to break into your house, the first thing to break is the frame. A metal frame won't break. They only cost a few more dollars and it's worth the peace of mind. If the door isn't exposed to the elements, I'd get a metal interior door, again with the metal frame. Can't be too safe :) You're supposed to check local building codes before beginning your project to ensure compliance, but, well, I never have :/ Good luck

• William William on Apr 23, 2020

Exterior steel door. Metal frame is not necessary. That would be for commercial applications. Most building codes require steel doors. In case of garage fire so it doesn't spread to living area. Also limit the chance of any fumes permeating to living area.

• Ellis Ellis on Apr 24, 2020

In additon to what William said about an exterior steel door, our code requires a "door closer" on the door leading to the garage.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Apr 24, 2020

Hello Daw 1955,

What you require is a special Fire Door!

• Em Em on Apr 24, 2020

Door between the garage and the residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 1-3/8” (35 mm) in thickness, solid- or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 1-3/8” (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.