Need new feet on sofa

The original feet are plastic and have broken. Also want raise the height. What can you suggest?
  32 answers
  • Susan N Susan N on Jul 11, 2016
    Home Depot, Lowe's, and reupholstering places would have a good selection of furniture legs. If you can afford more, a woodworker can make sofa legs in any style you want...

  • Jill Kinkade Jill Kinkade on Jul 11, 2016
    I would go with pre-made feet, available at the big box stores and many hardware stores also. I'm a fan of "bun feet" but this would work for any type feet. You could cut some other wood to fit the top of the feet to make them higher.

  • Jamie Jamie on Jul 11, 2016
    I have been to Home Depot and Lowes. There aren't feet without the screw in it. My sofa has the screws in the frame and I was hoping to get a price I could screw onto the screws already there

    • See 1 previous
    • Leti Leti on Feb 05, 2022

      Try Amazon or a local cabinet maker!!

  • Roseann8628 Roseann8628 on Jul 11, 2016
    If the legs don't show, you might also be able to use sturdy styrofoam (the type used in packing a TV, computer…) cut to the height you wish. :)

    • Jamie Jamie on Jul 11, 2016
      Interesting idea I like the way you think. Wouldn't it compact? Now I just have to find some. Thanks for thinking outside the box!!

  • Roseann8628 Roseann8628 on Jul 11, 2016
    Not sure if it would compact over time. Since it's free, might be worth a try. If you have a Best Buy or similar store close by, they would probably save some for you if you ask nicely. Hope it works. Good luck! :)

  • Francesca Francesca on Jul 11, 2016

  • Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Jul 11, 2016
    Buy the feet with the screws. Then, cut the screws off the sofa frame. You can use a power tool or cut them with a hack saw. Advise you to start building yourself a tool box as these types of projects will crop up periodically. Buy as needed will spread out the expense. Recommend you to only buy power tools with carrying or storage cases...makes things easier to find and keeps them clean.

  • Ggl4635362 Ggl4635362 on Jul 12, 2016
    Try taking a 4x4 or 4x6 clear timber(clear pine/redwood), cut to length. 2. saw an arc on the bottom side leaving a 4"x4" pad at each end. 3. using the original mounting holes on the existing furnature, pin these together with dowels. Paint/stain to match.

  • Barbara C Barbara C on Jul 12, 2016
    You can buy new feet at Home Depot.

  • Delores Snellen Delores Snellen on Jul 12, 2016
    You can buy new feet at Lowe's also

  • Bink Bink on Jul 12, 2016
    But she wants to make it higher?

  • Tamar Lundeen Tamar Lundeen on Jul 12, 2016
    Furniture feet and legs come in a wide variety of sizes and lengths at the big box stores. I assume that they will be seen so nice ones can be found there. Check out how they are attatched first, maybe take a pic on phone so you can get help from the personnel if needed. Just did this for a siding /window issue and it was quite helpful.

  • B. Enne B. Enne on Jul 12, 2016
    I removed the screws from mine and just bought new legs with screws...trying to retrofit never works well. You can also buy triangular or square mounting brackets...I like those better, IMO they hold up better than 1 big screw in wood than can easily splinter if someone sits heavily on an arm or pushes the sofa from the side. You screw them into 2 sides of the frame (or a corner if they are square), then screw the leg into the bracket. I've had to do a few repairs with teenagers rough

  • Nichole Blake Nichole Blake on Jul 12, 2016
    IKEA has feel in various heights also

  • try going to an reupholstery store they will have all you need

  • Ssr8059109 Ssr8059109 on Jul 12, 2016
    I went to Lowes and bought wooden 4x4 post toppers They were about 6" tall and already had a built in screw. All I did was paint and screw into the sofa where the old legs were. My mother-in-law did the same thing.

  • Chris aka monkey Chris aka monkey on Jul 12, 2016
    you can used cement blocks, they can be painted, are cheap and would add height xx

  • Angelhimm1026 Angelhimm1026 on Jul 12, 2016
    Home Depot sells legs fo furniture in different heights. They come on unfinished wood, but you could paint them any colour

  • Big box home stores have premade wooden feet that you can use; look in the department where wooden posts, etc are sold. Some people call these pieces 'wooden buns.' You will need to stain and finish or paint the new pieces yourself.

  • Marianne Marianne on Jul 12, 2016
    Bun Feet. There are many different styles and heights available.

  • Carolyn Noyer Carolyn Noyer on Jul 12, 2016
    My answer is close to Angelhimm1026, I was thinking of the bed raisers if they would not work

  • Reb6945334 Reb6945334 on Jul 12, 2016
    You could make a wooden frame at the height you would like. Remove the legs on the couch and set the couch on the frame and screw together.

  • Bonnie Wingo Bonnie Wingo on Jul 12, 2016
    Check out wooden fence end caps they can be used to replace broken ones and are usually bigger

  • Jamie Jamie on Jul 12, 2016
    So many good suggestions.

  • Donita Grace Donita Grace on Jul 12, 2016
    There are readily available screw in feet/legs I'm Amazon, for example. I recently switched out the very modern legs on a chair to make it look more compatible with the vintage letter upholstery. Very easy fix. Google furniture legs.

  • Nan5102713 Nan5102713 on Jul 12, 2016
    if you go to yard sales or flea markets a lot of times they sell ottomans cheap that have nice large wooden feet.

  • Melin Melin on Jul 13, 2016
    Visit your local Orchard Upply Hardware or Home Depot and you will find numerous solutions to upgrading the feet ... truly a quick fix that's not only a solution but also a great solution ... have fun!

  • Sandy Slade Sandy Slade on Jul 13, 2016
    Hi, We use large wheels painted in bright colours, it adds height colour and it is so easy to move to hoover.If you don't like the idea of wheels being on show attach some co-ordinating or a pop of colour with fringing to cover them up. You can also hoover further underneath when you don't have time to move it.

  • Sherry H. Sherry H. on Jul 13, 2016
    You can go to Home Depot or Lowe, they sell legs big legs and little legs of all kinds. Thats what we did for our sofa. It worked out well. They do have to be painted or stained. Great buy!

  • ObiaMan ObiaMan on Jul 13, 2016
    If you choose to make your own legs out of wood, say 4x4's, cou can customize them to the exact height you want. To attach, there are screws that are threaded on both ends. Drill a small pilot hole in the leg so the wood doesn't split. You could use balls even , like old croket balls. Just check where the screws go in to the sofa to align properly.

    • Jamie Jamie on Jul 13, 2016
      That's what I have asked my son to help me with. Thanks for your idea

  • Annie Doherty Annie Doherty on Jul 15, 2016
    Also if you have an Ikea store nearby they have a wonderful selection of feet, wheels with stoppers which could also be an option for moving the sofa around also would raise the height in one fell swoop. Or as a previous poster suggested may be more cost effective buying an item from Goodwill, garage or yard sale and reusing the feet/legs.

  • Sherry H. Sherry H. on Jul 27, 2016
    Go to Home Depot or Lowe. They sell feet and legs for hight, they can be stained or painted. This happened to us, we went to Home Depot. Sherry H.