Can I dry clean my fancy accent pillows at the dry cleaners?

+7

I had bought four beautiful accent pillows for my couch. I later found out I had a mouse problem that crawled all over them. I really like these accent pillows and spent good money on them and don't want to throw away my pillows so now they're just sitting in a plastic garbage bag until I figure out what to do. I'm also a germaphobe too.. The question is: Does anyone have tips for how to wash pillows without damaging them? Is there a guide to how to wash pillows without removable covers? Can I take them to the dry cleaners? Also, one set of accent pillows are embellished with sequences too.

q can i dry clean my fancy accent pillows at the dry cleaners , cleaning tips, fabric cleaning, home decor, home decor cleaning
  • William William on Aug 12, 2016
    Yes. A good dry cleaner can clean an sanitize them. They also know how to handle embellishments.

• Shonda Baxley Shonda Baxley on Aug 12, 2016
    Spray them with half vinegar/half water solution. Vinegar will kill any "cooties" they may have and keep your pillows looking new and fresh. If you don't like the vinegar smell (which evaporates when the vinegar dries) add a couple drops of essential oil to the mix.

• Katrina Warren Katrina Warren on Aug 15, 2016
    It really all depends on the fabric they are made of, & what kind of stuffing they have. Dry cleaning will often remove the color/paint from sequins if they are only coated with a shimmer paint. I would just spray them with Lysol, or vinegar & water as suggested above. Most any dry cleaners you might take them to would probably have you sign a waiver stating IF the pillows were damaged in the cleaning process they would not be held responsible. (I managed a Dry Cleaners for several years)

• Kaysten Kaysten on Aug 18, 2016
    They probably can. However, depending on the fabric, you can also put them inside a pillowcase with an elastic band or string around the top of the case and put them in the washing machine on a gentle cycle and let them air dry. For the one with sequins, you might want to put it in two pillowcases, with the first one being taut so it's the same size as the pillow.

• See 1 previous
    • Kaysten Kaysten on Aug 19, 2016
      Glad I could help! :)

• Headcoverings Veils Headcoverings Veils on Aug 19, 2016
    Have you considered Dryell? I use this frequently for "dry clean only" clothing items. The kit includes a stain remover and blotter, if needed. I have not had good success with dry cleaners taking care of items attached to garments.

• Jennifer Jennifer on Aug 20, 2016
    I worked in a dry cleaners/laundry for many years. You CANNOT dry clean a pillow with the stuffing or form left in it!! The cleaners I worked for used a chemical called perchloroethylene commonly known as "perc". Perc is a liquid solvent that is used in most dry cleaning. If the pillows are cleaned with perc and the stuffing is left in them, the stuffing most likely won't dry and will damage the pillow anyway. If you still want the pillows dry cleaned, the stuffing or form will need to be removed before cleaning. As mentioned above, the embellishments very likely could be damaged by the perc. Without seeing the fabrics used in these pillows, I can't speak about whether or not they may be washed with water safely. I would not recommend spraying with vinegar and/or water, either. Spotting may occur. Any time we took in curtains, beaded, sequined or other embellished items, customers had to sign a release stating that we (the cleaners) were not responsible for any damage to the item. If someone brought your pillows into the cleaners I worked for, I would ask first for you to sign a release. If you wouldn't, I would tell you that I couldn't help you. If you did sign it, we would ask you to remove the stuffing/form or do it for you for a charge. We would then do our best to clean the pillows. Once the outside was cleaned, we would give them back to you so you could put the filling/form back or if we took it out for you, we would put it back. I would not try to spray these with vinegar and/or water. Take them to a reputable dry cleaner in your area and ask their opinion. I would even get a second opinion. Then I would make a decision. I would look around for some other pillows that I liked in case something happened to your current ones during the cleaning process. Without seeing the pillows, I can only give this general advice.

• Twinkle Twinkle on Aug 26, 2016
    Thanks for your response