How can I clean the smell of urine out of couch cushions?

JAN
by JAN
+6
  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jan 21, 2020

I have 2 recommendations: OdoBan is a disinfectant and odor eliminator. The other is a type of enzymatic cleaner. There is a pet version: Nature's Miracle. Not sure how well it will work.

• William William on Jan 21, 2020

Stick the cushions in a large lawn and leaf plastic bag. Liberally sprinkle with baking soda and seal the bag. Let it sit over night. Remove the cushions and vacuum off the baking soda.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jan 21, 2020

Can you take the couch cushions off the couch and remove the covers? If so wash them as laundry, add some towels to help. For the final rinse cycle use 1/2 cup vinegar. Dry using the coolest setting in the dryer or air dry to avoid shrinkage. For the actual cushions you might need to replace them, you might try a store like Joanne's to replace them-take the measurements with you or if stuffed with fiberfill, you can find that there as well and re-stuff. Best to you.

• Megan Megan on Jan 21, 2020

Vinegar and a little water works great at removing odors in upholstery !

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 21, 2020

Once you have it clean, I suggest a waterproof pad or cover. They make flat pads that can be used on a bed or seat and are washable. You can find them at most medical supply stores and online. They actually make covers to protect your furniture from spills and pets, and they are easy to wash, too. I have both types (I am a retired RN) and it protects my furniture from spills and I use the pads when one of us is ill or recovering from a procedure. Good luck.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jan 21, 2020

See if the cover comes off or put it in the washing machine to soak shut it off then let it spin to dry

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Jan 22, 2020

Pour scoopable kitty litter on it and let sit for a day or two to absorb the odors.

Vacuum well and launder any slipcovers that can be washed.