How do I get rid of the nasty cement on my fireplace?

+3
PRIOR TO WHITEWASHING MY KITCHEN FIREPLACE....
WHATS THE EASIEST WAY TO GET RID OF NASTY CEMENT FROM THE BARE BRICK......
SHOULD I THEN USE A GRINDER TO DEFINE AND RE APPOINT POINTING??????
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE........
XXXXX

• Can you post a photo? I am having a hard time envisioning this fireplace.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 20, 2017
    I've seen it chiseled off and know it's a chore. Here's an article I found on the subject: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/1999/05/01/removing-hardened-mortar-from-brick

• Kim Kim on Dec 21, 2017
    You can use natural cleaners that you mix up yourself. They’re more affordable than commercially prepared cleaners and are safer. Natural cleaner one: Make a thin paste out of 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar and a little bit of water. Apply to brick and let sit for 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water and wipe off with a soft cloth. This method is best for cleaning small areas, like the brick trim around a fireplace. For larger areas like a floor or wall, go with natural cleaner two, vinegar. Mix equal parts vinegar and water and pour into a spray bottle. Spray on the bricks and let is sit for a few minutes. Use a sponge mop to clean the bricks. If the bricks are very dirty, use a nylon-bristled scrub brush and put some elbow grease into the scrubbing. Natural cleaner three is baking soda and dish detergent. Make a thin paste by mixing 3 tablespoons of dish soap to ½ cup baking soda. Spread it on brick, let sit for 10 minutes and then scrub off with a brush. Rinse with warm water.

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 23, 2017
    If you have an over-coat of concrete on the brick or a slop-mortar look, you're going to have to chisel off. Hopefully it's not too big an area because it's quite a job! But it will look gorgeous when completed. Good luck.