How to clean silver plated tea set

+4
  • Susan S Susan S on Dec 07, 2017
    line a pan the size of the tea set and cover the bottom with baking soda

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 07, 2017
    Aluminum foils, baking soda, and salt - as per the article below. Wishing you the best.

• Mireille Telleria Mireille Telleria on Dec 07, 2017
    any white toothpaste, buy the cheapest one at the dollar store, Try pepsodent white toothpaste, apply with rag, and once clean, buff with clean cloth, cheaper than buying in a liquid bottle the silver cleaner.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 08, 2017
    plain white toothpaste

• Susan Susan on Dec 08, 2017
    ACK! Please only use silver polish CREAM (Wright's brand is what I use) you can easily buy at the grocery store for about $4! Anything else will destroy your patina and cause rapid oxidation and tarnishing.

If you are lucky enough to have silver pieces - even if they are silverplate - treat them with the respect they deserve and they can become family heirlooms.

• Merrilee Morrison-Cotter Merrilee Morrison-Cotter on Dec 08, 2017
    Wright's silver polish.

• Emily Emily on Dec 08, 2017
    My husband came home from our town swap shop the other day with a Reed and Barton silver plated tea pot. I got out my Wrights and polished it up. Those other methods are not worth the effort. I know as I collect lots and lots of silver. Susan is absolutely right. I used to do the boiling water, salt, aluminum foil thing and ended up with a big mess and items improperly cleaned and marked.