How to clean silver with foil and boiling water?

+4
I saw an article on this not too long ago on Hometalk.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 13, 2017
    https://www.hometalk.com/diy/clean/house/clean-your-silver-quickly-and-easily--16869582

• Linda Linda on Dec 14, 2017
    I tried it and it didn't work. Just use silver polish and sing Christmas tunes while polishing. Promise cookies to whoever helps.

• Ohhhdear Ohhhdear on Dec 14, 2017
    The foil +baking soda + hot water DOES work, but PLEASE be careful what you choose to clean with it. DO NOT clean jewelry with opals, glued-in stones (and you'd be surprised how many are!), turquoise, or any stone with micro cracks because you will ruin your stones. Opals and turquoises will crack.
    DO NOT clean silver candlesticks or other decorative roundware which are weighted; these are generally filled with PLASTER OF PARIS and soaking them in hot water will ruin them. DO NOT clean old hollow-ware like old style silver knives as the water will seep into the handles.
    I used the foil+bakingsoda+ hot water with solid silver .925 necklaces, earrings, and a few badly tarnished pieces of my mother's silverplated flatware, and it worked well. It took a bit of hand polishing to finish it off, but they turned out shiny.

• Rhoda Rhoda on Dec 16, 2017
    If the silver is tarnished it can be cleaned by placing it in potato water and letting it stand for an hour. Then remove it, wash it and it will look like new. 🍴🥄

• Donna Pitts Donna Pitts on Dec 17, 2017
    Wow! I've never heard of that. Thank you.