I have a rental with awful pet and tobacco odors.

+6
We have taken out all the carpet and want to paint the plywood floor by pouring and rolling about three coats of paint on the floor and walls. I am thinking about making a roller cover out of scrap carpet to spread the paint out on the floor. Would use a big pan and and a 24 inch roller. Any suggestions as to type paint and cover idea would help.

• Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Nov 05, 2017
    Use oil based Kilz. Very important. Regular paint won’t cover the odor

• Arr28600996 Arr28600996 on Nov 05, 2017
      Thanks. I too think a good scrub down and several layers of oil based paint or Kilz might be best

• Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Nov 05, 2017
    Ask in the paint dept. Maybe a deck paint, as it's very durable.

• DB DB on Nov 05, 2017
    I would wash the floor with a bleach solution before you paint. Let it dry thoroughly Run an air air purifier I have one called LivingAire. I think carpet caps to read paint could be problematic. I would at least get advice from a paint store,

• Wash everything with TSP first to remove odors. Then you need a good primer like Kilz or Zinsser. Then a paint formulated for flooring. Go to a real stand alone paint Store, better help and better products.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Nov 05, 2017
    You can call a pro in for this important job. They are experts at removing the smell of smoke from fires and from mold from floods. It is well worth the cost.

• Chubby58 Chubby58 on Nov 05, 2017
    They actually make rollers that are 18" long. I think a 24" piece of carpet would be pretty heavy when the paint gets on it.

• DB DB on Nov 12, 2017
    That was supposed to read" using carpet to spread paint might not be a good strategy. Depending on the carpet it might not soak up paint well or will soak up way to much. I think a roller on a long handle would work better. I have no idea how it came out that way-- sorry for not reading well before posting