Asked on Jan 07, 2017

How do you get rid of mold in a pebble stone shower floor?

Jules1fly
by Jules1fly
+8
Answered
We have had a pebble stone floor installed in our bathroom. It's an open shower with glass walls. Recently there have been spots that mildew has grown.
I have bleached and dried with hair dryer but still wet. Do we uninstall to find where this moisture is coming from?
  11 answers
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jan 07, 2017
    Do you have mold anywhere else in the bathroom? We had a slight problem and just opening the WI down a crack, even in the winter, for a few hours at a time solved the problem.

  • William William on Jan 08, 2017
    I agree with Cori. The moisture is probably from the shower. Make sure you run the exhaust fan after each shower. It also may be the stone wasn't properly sealed or the seal coat has worn away. You may need to seal the stone. Seal-Krete 1 gal. Clear-Seal Low-Gloss Sealer, Aqua Mix Enrich 'N' Seal 24 oz. Penetrating Sealer, at Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes.

  • Alan Alan on Jan 10, 2017
    Mix a 50/50 solution bleach and water but don't dry it, you must leave it wet for as long as you can, overnight and most of the next day is best, the Mold roots can get very deep into the substrate no matter what it is, so you must leave the treating solution wet for as long as you can, as if you don't kill the roots it will just keep re growing, once you have had a decent "kill" you will need to re seal the area with a decent product and a the build up of product is the key to success, am sorry as I am not familiar with your products in the USA, but down here in New Zealand we have many products that would be appropriate, but a good quality clear coat of a Concrete sealer used in all weathers outside would be a good starting point, hope this helps.

  • Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Jan 15, 2017
    You may have to dry with paper towels because it may not drain properly do to stones. Or use a towel whatever is a dry rag. And make sure you run exhaust fan for half an hour plus if you can dry entire shower before you come out. Mold grows in humid places and this is the best place so if you can also open bathroom door as you get ready. Get humidity out of there. And scrub that area with a toothbrush to make sure you get in between pebbles. If you have another bathroom use that one to allow this one to dry completely and if mold is cleaned up with scrabbing and drying reseal it carefully with a paint brush to get every piece or grout. Let that dry following instructions and I hope that works then everyday dry shower and floor completely to remove water that may not be draining do to pebbles.

  • Dee Dee on Jan 17, 2017
    clorex makes a product called clones outdoors. put in a spray bottle and spray the floor till wet. Leave it on until you take a shower. Then rinse. Make sure you open the window when using Clorox outdoors. It is a miracle worker.

  • Dfm Dfm on Jan 19, 2017
    bleach will not kill mold or mold spores. my fixer upper had a huge mold issue in the basement. mold needs dark and moist to grow. white vinegar slightly diluted and a scrub brush worked best.

  • Alan Alan on Jan 20, 2017
    I was a Painter Decorator here in NZ for 40+ years, and that is what we used to kill Mould, we would use a garden sprayer treat any exterior areas where Mould of any description was growing and it would kill it stone dead, I went out and sprayed my limestone garden edging Rocks which were green with Mould, it turned Ginger in Colour and over a short period all dropped off! they are a nice whitish grey colour right now and Mould free, BUT Mould being Mould, fresh new Mould spores will settle and regrow when the same area gets damp this coming Winter, now from previous experience Vinegar has and does exactly the same, kills it all this year and fresh new Mould will grow next year it is an ongoing exercise, I have black Mould growing on one side of my Plastic Glasshouse Roof, I spray it every year with Household Bleach and it all drops off, but to re grow again next Winter that is the nature of the beast I'm afraid, it thrives on/in cool damp conditions, with a Shower it is my thoughts to install a Stainless Steel Base, but even then Mould will still grow on the surface provided conditions are suitable, Mould does not like air circulation and that is 9/10's of the reason it grows in houses where air circulation does not happen, as long as there is life there will be Mould that is the way it is I'm afraid.

  • Nancy Watson Nancy Watson on May 21, 2018
    do not use BLEACH or vinegar.
    You need a product specifically made for cleaning stone. Bona a makes a good one.

  • Kimberly Raadt Higgins Kimberly Raadt Higgins on Nov 27, 2018

    Bleach is the only thing that will remove black moldy spots but it isn't recommended for stone. I have used non bleach products specifically made for stone and they DO NOT WORK for this purpose. What can I do that will actually remove the mold and not involve intense scrubbing of the floor every week?